Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel pump leaking, options!?

hurleyii

So I finally went and got gas to try and tune in my carb rebuild and now the fuel pump is leaking like a sieve. I fixed one leak by rebuilding the carb to get another one far worse. I was already told by my Allis dealer that I'm out of luck on the pump as I asked when I bought my rebuild kit for the carb.

Let me restate that, he said no rebuild kits available and for pricing purposes he recommended a electric pump from auto parts store!

I also just went on ebay and found lots of them but the look to be plastic fittings. Thoughts on the available after market pumps and the Kohler redesigned pumps

It will work with gravity feed (no fuel pump). You loose the last inch of the tank. Because the carb inlet and tank are at about the same spot. I have sold several of the aftermarket replacement pumps new that have the plastic fittings and never had a complaint. Plastic or steel pumps if they seals they work.

I've used a couple of the new style plastic Kohler pumps with no problems. I buy them off Ebay, way cheaper and more readily available than locally.

Ok that sounds good.

I decided I'd try to remove and see if it was fixable. Bolts securing it to block where both finger tight and screws for fuel pump assembly was also falling apart. tightened them up, tuned carb and the 912h is alive and running, carb bowl had light leak so I tightened it up some more. Hopefully I was successful.

It does have some drive train noise though and I noticed it's a solid drive-shaft with no rubber between engine and drive shaft. The 7112h sitting next to it however does. Is this a matter of year difference and could it make my 912h a little louder?

For the moment I'm moving on to the 7112h and I'm going to pull fuel pump and clean it as bad as the carb was.I pray I'm successful.

Theres supposed to be either a fiberglass disc coupler or Rubber coupler connecting the driveshaft to the engine, and a fiberglas disc coupler connecting other end of drive shaft to yoke on bevel gear box.

If someone bolted the driveshaft directly to the engine DONT run it anymore till you get a coupler setup on it.

The rubber couplers are no longer available last I knew, so you would have to go with a fiberglas disc coupler and the associated correct bevel edged washers that go with that.

I have had numuerous used tractors that have had the couplers/washers improperly installed so take care to get it right if you need to change things.