Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wiring junction ideas?

SmilinSam

Working on the Kubota to wire up all the accessories being added.

Figured it would be easisest to run another hot lead off the Solenoid post where the battery connects and leave the tractor wiring harness alone.

Need to power 2 actuators. 1 windshield wiper, 1 heater fan, and a set of 3 flood lights.

Each accessory has its own fuse.

Need ideas as what to use to split the power lead in from the battery into the 5 different accessories.? ie some sort of junction..

Also what gauge of wire should I use for the power in?

10 or 12 gauge would be fine.

I would use a short ground bus bar out of an electrical panel, mounted on rubber so it can not ground. (mainly because I have some and have done it before)

For easy to find stuff at home, you could mount the bus bar to heavy plastic (like a piece of old plastic or rubber mudlap, or plexiglass) with countersunk flat head screws, then mount it to the tractor on rubber (piece of innertube, or even another layer of plastic) so the heads cant touch the metal.

OR

Does the Kubota have a top post battery? Use a marine style battery cable end, that goes on the post and has a wingnut to attach wires to, and use ring terminals on the end of each lead.

Well at work we have a pile of old electrical boxes sitting in the scrap pile. Might be a buss bar in there maybe.

Got one bosch relay left from our last project Bob. Just have to print out the diagram you sent me. All I should have to do is splice into and come off a wire that's hot when the key is in the on position to make it work right?

quote:Originally posted by SmilinSam

Well at work we have a pile of old electrical boxes sitting in the scrap pile. Might be a buss bar in there maybe.Got one bosch relay left from our last project Bob. Just have to print out the diagram you sent me. All I should have to do is splice into and come off a wire that's hot when the key is in the on position to make it work right?

id="quote">
id="quote">Yep! Terminal 85 ignition source (12V+), 86 source to ground (-). 30 and 87 are your dry terminals for you accessory load and don't forget to fuse it..

Electrical supply houses sell "Barrier strips", that you can create your own regions of control on. Another handy item is a multiple circuit fuse block that has male spade contacts for the individual attachments, and a common ground post. All kinds of plug in relays, and sockets can be found at auto salvage yards.

W

I bought a 6 circuit raised fuse block rated at 65 amps total draw.

would I be able to use a small starter relay/solenoid to go between the battery and the fuse block powered on with a wire from the tractors accessory circuit that comes on when switch is turned on?

The auto relays I have been using are a little small with small spade connectors. Would rather use something that could use heavier wire.

Sure, why not.

That is the same as used on plow trucks with a second battery, and I've seen them used for charging camper batteries too.

Most guys around here, rather than buy a 40 or 50 dollar solenoid from Meyers or Western, use a basic Ford solenoid for about 15 bucks.

Any of the small ones off junk MTD type mowers should handle your needs.

That's why I started thinking about this, looking at the drawer full of starter solenoids I already have here;)

I just wondered how they would hold up being "on" for hours at a time, since I am used to only seeing them on for a few seconds at a time starting a tractor.

quote:Originally posted by SmilinSam

That's why I started thinking about this, looking at the drawer full of starter solenoids I already have here;)I just wondered how they would hold up being "on" for hours at a time, since I am used to only seeing them on for a few seconds at a time starting a tractor.

id="quote">
id="quote">What ever they are, make sure they are rated "continuous duty". Starter type are for intermittent use high draw and have a short operating life if left on for any amount of time.

Originally posted by BLT
quote:
id="quote">That's what I was wondering about. The stuff I have wont work then.Might just wire this up for now without the relay and just make sure I turn everything off when I shut down. Get the relay later...