Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

briggs 16 hp hard start

Noly

My Homelite T16S cranks forever before it will fire to start. Pointless ignition from Briggs dealer, champion plug that will be replaced with a NKG, had a Allis B210 acted the same way got rid of it long story. Any ideas? How large battery should it have? Thanks

yes, pull plug shows spark, try to start cranks forever. I have heard champions were bad about this. will put NKG plug in tomorrow. all bolts appear tight.

Sounds more like a fuel bowl leaking out to me, or compression is having to build up. Warn out rings could cause that. It should take no more then 4 cranks to have full compression on car engine I'm Not sure on a tractor. A car makes usually about 110-120 of a 160 ratio on its first rotation. Might give you an Idea of how fast it should take to build up.

My briggs all start best when cold with the throttle at idle and some coke. the only exception is the T16 with an external coil it starts when you quit cranking

My Briggs in the 7016 also starts best by having the choke on and throttle at idle. Hit the starter, then give it a little throttle when it fires, then take the choke off. Be ready to pull the choke once or twice again if the weather is cold. Be sure to check that the little spring and flapper device is still on the choke butterfly. Mine started a lot better when I replaced it after the original one got sucked off into the engine! Made a little racket in the engine.

I have found that the Briggs start right up if you hold the throttle plate closed at the carb. Until the engine gets running the governor is holding the throttle plate open, regardless of the what the throttle handle position is.

Many times the plug will fire when out of the engine. Under compression the plug will not fire. The best test is to use some sort of inline tester with the plug in the engine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/inline-ignition-spark-checker-69014.html

This will tell the true tale if the plug is good or not.

I agree about the Champion spark plugs. They USED to be a good plug. I too, use NGK's now.

Ken