Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
hurleyii

7112h test drive today!

hurleyii

Well I changed hydro filter (napa for testing) .

Checked the Bevel gear box and topped it off. It appears as though I can't drain the gear box as it doesn't look to have a drain plug like my 912H on the back plate.

New wheel bearings, race, and tubes for both front wheels.

Boy do the spindles slop around a lot on the axle!! Suggestions on a fix? Besides adding the poor mans power steering.

I've greased the front end up a lot, sprayed penetrating oil on everything including beneath the steering wheel and I can still hardly steer the beast.

I also have some work to do to secure some rattling parts and after that I think I'm going to freshen up the engine.

rs07

On your tractor, you have to remove the entire backing plate on the bevel gear box to change the oil. The later models do not have a drain plug. The earlier models like the 700 Series had one. Why they did away with the drain plug? I do not know. Maybe someone here has the answer to that.Make sure you replace the gasket as well. It's relatively inexpensive.

Chris727

I didn't know the drain was done away with during the 7100's. I will have to look at my 17GTH-L. I'm thinking it has the plug and it was made around 1992. I know my '97 Sovereign does not have a drain plug.

hurleyii

Something else I noticed is orange silicone. This engine has been apart and boy does it sound like it's revving out. I wont go WOT it scares me that it's gonna blow! Im beginning to wonder if it used to have a Briggs engine in it and it was switched to a K301.