Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

piston rod

allis579

some time ago someone mentioned a chemical to remove the remains of a piston rod from the crankshaft journal.

Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thank you

Bob

Hydrochloric acid (aka murritic acid) it will disolve aluminum, and won't harm iron..

warning it also disolves skin, be careful. Neutralize with water, and baking soda.

Dan

Bob,

Google "muriatic acid", the results do bring up more safer products by "clean Strip", and handled by the "big box stores".

Wayne

I think the current more "safe" muriatic acids out there are chemically buffered to be less reactive/effective than the old stuff. Maybe Bill (Phandad) can chime in with some extra info on this.

Tom (PK)

I removed the remains of a connecting rod with miriatic acid from the hardware store a couple years ago. It worked awesome! Only thing I did wrong was I did it too close to my metal garage door which now has little rust spots all over. Found out later the fumes are very corrosive. Only do this in an open area, do not breath fumes, or get on skin, wear eye and skin protection. Have the baking soda and water to neutralize it handy in case of skin contact. And be ready to oil the part as soon as acid is neutralized or it will flash rust faster then you can ever imagine.