Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
a_sannine

STENS Chrome Piston Ring

sb64

They definitely have higher compression, i used them on my MTD 12 HP,

But they are harder to seat. JMO I had to work it hard for an hour to get them to seat right without smoking on idle

powerking_one

How does one figure that chrome faced piston rings have higher compression than standard cast iron ones? I'd like to see some reference noting the physics and mechanical engineering behind this statement and why.

Tom (PK)

Chris727

I agree with Tom on the compression issue. As for the Stens rings, I have two friends that professionally rebuild small engines. They will not use aftermarket rings. One of them puts genuine Kohler rings on a Stens piston to keep the cost down. I have used some aftermarket rings (not stens) and found the compression rings were too short allowing far too much end gap. Some other ones I had were not machined well. All of the Kohler OEM rings look great right out of the package and check within spec.

sb64

I appoligize, shouldn't have said more compression i should have said that the tractor seemed to have more power, and handled the front mounted blower better with the chrome rings than the regular.

a_sannine

Ok

It seem that STENS RINGS a reputable aftermarket rings , I popped that engine head out and it was filled with oil as tractor been smoking bad . I checked bore with my telescopic bore gauge , every thing look with in normal , bore clean no ridge no scratches , engine out / oil pain out / rod and piston out , good cleaning /good honing with WD40 , cleaned put rings back together , time to have fun , turned that key , engine smoked for a minute then all that crazy blue smoke cleared up , I kept it running with no load for like 20 minutes , engine smooth no knocking no smoking , job done we are very happy with Stens rings . time will tell :D.

forgot to mention that the tractor never lost power even when it was smoking like crazy , with the new rings I can feel I have a better performance under load as I went thru a huge pile of leaves , and that thing went thru them like a butter .