Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
a_sannine

Kohler piston Rings

powerking_one

I believe that during the manufacturing/machining of the cast iron blocks, the standard cylinder bore dimension could be slightly "off" so Kohler decided to fix it with this .003" oversize piston & rings. Unless the head was pulled off, no one would know the difference on a "new" engine. This solution would still allow for normal wear and being able to use the first .010" rebuild/re-bore oversize piston & rings.

My 2 cents worth,

Tom (PK)

powerking_one

If the piston & rings you want to use are marked .003" O.S. and the original piston is truly STD, then you'd have to hone the cylinder out a few thousandths to get the spec'd minimum piston to wall clearance and ring gap, and remove any ridge at the top of the bore. If you want to use the .003" O.S. rings with the STD piston, you could just file then ends a little to get at least the minimum gap spec.

Also I found this thread on a Wheel Horse forum:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/46585-new-kohler-piston-rings-question/

And if you read through it a member mentions:

"Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

The .003 over piston and rings was to repair a oversize STD bore from production at the factory. I would believe that there were not too many units sent out with the .003 oversize repair done as this was a quality issue in the std boring process.

brian"

Tom (PK)