Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broadmoor / Homesteader rings

Chris727

I know we have a few Briggs experts here. Would anyone happen to know if the 8hp vertical Briggs (of the 728 Broadmoor era) had different piston rings for an aluminum bore versus a cast-iron sleeve? I have an 8hp with a cast bore and no numbers as the shroud is not original. I was hoping to order parts based on the Simplicity spec engine but do not know if it was cast or aluminum bore?

Thank You.

Chris

When you take off the head, see if a magnet will attach itself to the bore. Here is tractor info for 728, HP 8, Product number 990765 Briggs number 191700, Type 0638-01. My gut feeling is no and might not even have synchro-balance, but you should be able to download parts sheet from Briggs.

Thank You Bob. Those were the original engine numbers. This shortblock has a cast-iron bore which I had bored out to .010 specs. Just wasn't sure if parts for the original aluminum bore engine would work in the cast iron lined replacement.

Chris twice I read it and missed that you had an IC engine already. If you download the OM and PB for M/N 193707 type 0305-01 which is an IC for Simplicity spec and compare the two .

BT

BLT

Chris,

I believe that Briggs spec'd different P.N. rings for the aluminum "Kool-Bore" engines VS the cast-iron sleeve ones (with the same bore diameter of course). Maybe the rings for the aluminum bores were a softer/better wearing and "more kind" type than traditional ones made for C.I. bores?

Tom (PK)

Is there any way to confirm that the 191700 0638 engine had an aluminum bore from new?

I found this in the service manual:

NOTE:Pistons used in CAST IRON SLEEVE

BORE aluminum alloy engines CANNOT

BE USED in Kool Bore#63722; (aluminum bore)

engines. Pistons used in Kool Bore#63722; (aluminum

bore) engines are chrome plated.

These chrome plated pistons CANNOT

BE USED in SLEEVE BORE engines.

5. Use “Illustrated Parts Lists” to determine which

pistons to use based on Model, Type and Code.

There only way I stumbled on to it is by downloading PB's. 191700 just mentioned parts list and 193707 PL says it is an IC engine pars list and thinking back the 8 HP in my 638 Broadmoor was aluminum bore.

I checked the B&S antique engine repair manual and it states the way to ID a "sleeve-bore" vs. "Kool-bore" piston is that the "sleeve-bore" pistons will be dull and have a letter "L" stamped on top. They state the kool-bore pistons will be shiny and discolored at the piston pin bore. The only "L" marked piston I've seen was in a cast-iron block 8hp in my model 700.

Hi. Just had my broadmoor c.I. sleeved 8hp bored .020 this past summer. This is the third engine since my dad bought it new in 1971. I bought it as a shortblock 12 years ago from Small Engine Warehouse p/n sb397816. Since then, it has become obsolete. I still do a search on it every now and then.