Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CH-18 Head Gaskets

haykarenhardy

CH-18 Head Gaskets

I need to replace the head gaskets on my CH-18. The service manual states remove Hydraulic Lifters and bleed the oil out of them before reassembly. It also states do not use a magnet to remove lifters, If you do not have there “hydraulic lifter tool how can I remove the lifters without damaging them? Also I need to convert the engine from the valve cover driven fuel pump to pulse fuel pump. The engine came out of a cub cadet 3184 which used a vacuum port on the intake manifold to engage the deck, or do I need the vacuum port near the oil filter?

I have a drive shaft adapter and drive shaft/rubber coupling from a 7112 kohler to use to re power my 7112 or do I need the adapter used on the Triad Kohler #2402909.

Thanks for the help

Stan

kohlercommaddptere.jpg

You will need the 24 029 09 adaptor. Not sure what you are putting it in but you will need a Triad or Command drive shaft if going in a Sovereign. Some use the shroud with the grass chopper but it isn`t a must have.

kohlercommaddptere.jpg.ab9026d7d2ef955b83d3e8f04c42203b.jpg

Don't use a magnet to remove the lifters???? That is how I've always done it! You might try a long needle nose pliers to grab the edge of the lifter it it rises above the lifter bore enough. Or just turn the engine upside down??? Make sure you keep each lifter with it's respective cam lobe.

These guys ship free. Don't know the quality though. http://www.atgstores.com/automotive-specialty-tools/powerbuilt-648459-hydraulic-valve-lifter-puller_10369448.html?af=2615&cse=2615&gclid=CMuWxJvt7cECFYLyMgodPV8AKQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

ken