Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stanirocz

deck covers fill with clippings

Stanirocz

It looks as if the deck covers would seal well but somehow they still allow the top of the deck to fill with clippings. I've heard some guys run without the covers so that they can blow them clean and let it dry to prevent the deck from rusting. I don't feel good about having that something like this out in the open spinning close to where I might accidentally step.

I was considering cutting these covers to just shield the pulleys. I.E. have a small opening on the outside and leave the inside area that is underneath the tractor completely open. This way it could easily be blown clean with a leaf blower and can dry.

Wondering how others here deal with this. And wondering if cutting the covers is a bad idea.

MikeES

Many tractors come with just the outside arbors covered. The 300/400 series allis came this way and my Kubota has just the outside arbor pulleys covered with the middle completely open.

I cut a set but the outer arbor areas still filled with grass, but much easier to get off without removing the deck.

No longer having any little kids around, I run with no covers.

fishnwiz

I still think drain holes in the area around the arbors would have been a great idea.

Sometimes people leave their tractors out in the elements and these areas will and do hold standing water.

PhanDad

MikeES is right on. The Allis built Homelite and 300/400 decks are perfect:

IMG_5753a.jpg

Cut the Simplicity covers as you suggest and you're good to go. Not quite as easy to blow off as the deck above, but still good. I my experience, if the tractor is kept inside and dry, the build up of clipping isn't an issue since they are dry. However, I've taken covers off many decks that were in the elements and it's not pretty under there.

IMG_5753a.jpg.1a901f8181d60568f07e56938a153ffe.jpg