Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
shallowwatersailor

Squire/Model W Transmission Horsepower Limit

shallowwatersailor

I have a recently acquired MW Power Trac which is the same as a Model W. With my initial research, I have come to find out that it was actually advertised as using the "Squire" transmission in a walking tractor. I have not been able to get the Briggs 19 running after spending some time on the fuel system. I have also read that the ignition system may be finicky at times as well but difficult to upgrade to a later version.

My question is if I re-engine it (quickest fix,)as I would like to use it this winter for snow duty, what would the maximum horsepower be that could safely be put through the transmission. I am thinking as a stopgap to use either an 11 hp or 13 hp Harbor Freight engine. I would like to go back and use the Briggs 19 though.

briggsetc

Your Model 19 has the not so famous Magna-Matic ignition system. There is some info here ...

Cheap Magna-matic coil fix == http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/gas-engines/Cheap-Fix.aspx

... to let you know what you may be getting into.

I have recently seen the 290880 coils for sale on ebay even though they are NLA from Briggs.

Gary

shallowwatersailor

Thanks, Dave, for the information. I have been primarily a Wheel Horse collector until this summer. Good to know that it will take the horsepower as it seems pretty stout.Thanks, Gary. That was the article that I read. New ground for me to work on that for this winter. I think I will start gathering parts to do the swap.

quote:Originally posted by briggsetc

Your Model 19 has the not so famous Magna-Matic ignition system. There is some info here ... Cheap Magna-matic coil fix == http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/gas-engines/Cheap-Fix.aspx ... to let you know what you may be getting into. I have recently seen the 290880 coils for sale on ebay even though they are NLA from Briggs.Gary

id="quote">
id="quote">

MikeES

The simplicity built stock cast iron transaxle weakness is the axle tube and then the differential, good for about 40hp if in good condition and no keyway slop. The transaxle gears and housing can handle? I have seen 50+hp pulling tractors with modified axle and diff. but stock transaxle gears and housing.