Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
thirdjoker

how much cranking amps do i need?

thirdjoker

I need a battery for a Big Ten, original 10 HP engine. I've seen the original battery was a 22 nf, I was at Lowe's and saw a 375 CCA battery for lawn equipment. Would that be enough cranking amps?

rokon2813

The standard lawn tractor batteries will work, however, you get what you pay for.

For the most part, a $30 battery will give you 1 to 3 years in an A/C.

If you go with a 22NF or 51R you will spend a lot more, $70 to $80, but it will last 5 or 6 years, and I've seen them go up to 8 years.

JMO

drbrian722

I believe a base 22NF is rated around 390 CCA, so that would be the lowest I'd go. I'm on year two of my Interstate branded 22NF which was cheaper than the walmart 51R and carried a three year warranty from the store. That's not to say the walmart battery is bad, I use one in my motorcycle (AGM not 51R), but I wanted factory as much as possible during my resto.

FWIW; I store mine cold and it's had no issues cranking in single digit weather.

GrincheyOne

I have been lucky with my tractor batteries from Wal*Mart. here is one from the '90 4212, which is from TSC "HUSKEE". Sorry but the pics tonite were kinda blurry...

P82A05651.jpg

It's hard to read, 380 CCA.^WMost of the Wal*Mart batteries came from Exide.

P82A05651.jpg.c6ae5c0133df61ffd6dfc2da40eacc5c.jpg