Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mruta

Alternative to vari drive unit?

mruta

A previous owner somehow welded one of the pulleys together on my vari drive unit of my B-112. I've read about someone replacing the unit with a basic 3 speed.

Can anyone give me some guidance on what models would work for the swap?

Thanks in advance!

Brettw

As far as I know, you already have the basic 3 speed. The difference between that and the variable drive was the variable drive itself. The transmission was the same? Two standard pulleys in place of the variable would do the job. The shafts are probably the issue, but could probably be made to work. Just tossing this out there, others with more knowledge will chime in.

MikeES

Just remove the varidrive pulleys and mechanics. Replace with standard 1/2" belt pulleys. To hit the keyway the hubs of the pulleys will be in the inside so the belt will further away from the tractor frame vs. a std 3-speed. Also change the belt/clutch pulley to a V pulley also. You will need to play with belt guide whiskers or make the exiting belt brake work as the belt will want to keep spinning when the clutch is depressed. You will need to figure out the belt length needed based on the pulley sizes you use.

B112_son

I myself like the varie drive of the B112. Not sure if it is the front or rear pulley that is welded but if the rest of the mechanism is in good shape you could always buy the replacement pulley to keep the vari drive. Pretty sure everything you need is on eBay now and I think a club member has had the front pulley set in the classifieds.