Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

LED light bar

tripleguy

Anyone using an off road LED light bar for snow blowing? I was thinking of a 10-12 inch bar at 50-60 watts. They put out a lot of light and draw maybe 5 amps. Thought I'd mount it on top of the snow cab.

I just put 3 of those 4.5" round LED flood lights on my Kubota cab(2 front 1 rear) and wOw those are bright! Cant imagine how much brighter the light bar must be.

Yep, one for sure. I was thinking of this one:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/hyper-series-off-road-led-light-bar/8-compact-off-road-led-light-bar--18w/1939/4593/

8" long with 6, 3 watt bulbs and 1,000 lumens. I have a flashlight that puts out 800 and it will blind you. Draw should be something like 1.25 amps.

The 11" is 27 watts and 1,500 lumens. Might be overkill butonly costs $10 more.

If you get the brighter one, you can always make it a bright/dim setup using a SPDT switch and resistor. That way you wont blind people and melt the paint off the house when you don't need the extra lumens :)

!!Update - After looking at the specs of the unit, I do not believe that a resistor will work as with normal LEDs. These appear to be constant current regulated (PWM I assume) to work on any voltage from 9-32 so a resistor will make no difference until you get one big enough that will turn off :(

just a side note, I've bought from SuperBright for several years and have never had a problem with them.

Doug

Great idea, and should work well. One question is since they do not generate any heat so speak of, would the snow stick to the front and cover the lens some???? Not to be a damp rag, just asking.

I think they do generate heat in high lumen applications John. My 800 lumen flashlight runs cool as a cuke in the low setting. But if left on high for a few minutes, it gets HOT!