Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Onan 16hp twin cyl Engine

a_sannine

I grabbed this neat looking engine today while buying an M16 kohler , I know nothing about Onan , do they fit in simplicity /Allis Chalmers ?

Thanks

2quohv8.jpg

quote:Originally posted by a_sannine

I grabbed this neat looking engine today while buying an M16 kohler , I know nothing about Onan , do they fit in simplicity /Allis Chalmers ?Thanks

id="quote">
id="quote">Could be a Powermax replacement engine depending on M/N, spec number and HP.

Bob , I wanna fire it up , I never worked on Onan before , is the coil on this engine needs 12 volt power or it is a solid state type ?

This does not look like a CCK series (Used on Pmax tractors). It may be a BF/BG series. I think they were used on older JD & Sears tractors. There 'should' be a tag on head cover, over one of the heads.

Just make sure you grab the big fat wallet or equal check book when you go to buy parts! The exact reason I never want to own one.

Looks to me like a mid-model B-series to me. Most likely a BF. As for it fitting into simplicity/ allis tractors.... Well time and effort will make it work :D

finalpuller_zpsa96f2291.jpg

it came of a generators this one . it is neat looking very clean , I love to fire . haven't had a chance to see how iam gonna fire it , if it is a coil that needs 12 volt or solid state coil .

Huh I love that tractor cool , may be i'll have one like it with this engine :D

quote:Originally posted by Homesteader

Looks to me like a mid-model B-series to me. Most likely a BF. As for it fitting into simplicity/ allis tractors.... Well time and effort will make it work :Dfinalpuller_zpsa96f2291.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">Nice stacks!:D

Onans are kind of a pain in the butt. I have to pull this one apart for like the tenth time because it misses in one cylinder. I've narrowed it down to the valve and seats. When they do run, they are pretty sweet. I made a couple decent pulls with it this year and it never powered out, it would spin out. Coils are a problem too, and factory replacements are hard to come by and expensive. I managed to get a Harley Davidson coil for free from a buddy and that's what I'm running.

Good job man , iam thinking to copy it , I have a 912 6 speed I can part with and a 712 shuttle , I am thinking to convert to regular 3 speed

On that coil issue ThermoKing used two standard coils one for each bank. so I keep a pair of spare coils around just in case. after all I can use them on my singles also.

quote:Originally posted by a_sannine

Good job man , iam thinking to copy it , I have a 912 6 speed I can part with and a 712 shuttle , I am thinking to convert to regular 3 speed

id="quote">
id="quote">Here is the link to my build so you can kinda see what you will need to do.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=123055