Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what about the Simplicity 7117

oldbroketractor

OK guys I picked up that barn find 7117 and she runs like new after replacing the safety switch. Now for my question, I have tried to learn as much as I can with respect to the Model 7117 but aside from the 17 horse motor I don't find much on it. Lots on the 7116 and the 7119 but it seems like my 7117 is an orphan. Not a lot of implements or info on what fits and what will not. I adapted the hitch to work my Suburban plows, cultivator and disc, but have a belly blade I can't seem to adjust and not info on how to hook it to the hydro lift. Love this little work horse but tired of traveling to look at wrong parts. Was the 7117 limited production or is everyone protecting theirs like I do mine? I have the manuals but it appears, No common sense. Help me enjoy my toy.

I'm not an expert but I know the 7117 is a pretty common machine and very desirable. 7117 is the same as the sovereign's from the 90's. I'm not sure of all of the years of production but I'm pretty sure they span over a decade. One of the best garden tractors in a lot of people's opinions. As for attachments anything from a simplicity 7xxx or 71xx should fit. As well as AC7xx and 9xx.

Not sure how your Suburban blade is set up but a simplicity would go through the 2 holes under the front axle where the deck and front attachments go. Then you will need a chain or cable to go from the blade to the hydro lift. Not sure where it attaches on the 7117 I only have FDT's. Sure someone will more knowledge will jump in and help.

• Like 1

As said above, the 7117 is just like all the other 7100 series tractors. All implements will fit and work fine.

That said, a belly blade wasn't a option for the 7100 series. However, we still use them by using the cable that lifts the mower deck. Some cable length or attachment point may adjustments may have to be made.

If you're not familiar with the cable that lifts the mower deck, it's shown on the "Hydraulic Lift Group" in the parts manual. One end of the cable attaches to the rock shaft, it goes over a pulley and down to the deck.

If you don't have a parts manual and can't read the mfg number of your tractor, mfg #1691957 will get you a 17-GTHL with hydraulic lift (a newer model of the 7117).

• Like 1

Did they make a 7110 or a 910? The brochures that I have seen do not show them and I have never seen one. Otherwise the least common is the 7119 or 919. I think the rarest is the 917 6-speed.

As far as finding cheap tractors the most common of the 7100/900 series is the 7117/917 because of the short life of the KT17 engines.

• 5 months later...

I have a 7117h that I repowered with a 18hp command. With the newer engine it is nearly identical to tractors 10-15 years newer.

Great tractor overall. I run a mower, tiller and 42" snowblower. Not much can slow me down. When I did have 12" inches of snow across my drive, that was one of my few times I could not take a full pass without bogging down.

Just keep your eyes open as most simplicity attachments will fit.

The series 1 KT17's were ok as long as you were on flat ground, on side hills the big end of the rods got starved for oil. Oil dripped/spashed down from the cam shaft to lubricate the big ends. The series II KT17's had the crankshaft drilled to lubricate the big ends right off the oil pump feed. Still a desirable tractor and like any big frame Simplicity/Allis, easily repowered when the time comes. Mike

• 6 years later...

Can anyone give me any information on how much a Simplicity 7117 is worth these days? My father owns one and is thinking about selling it I'm tempted to just buy it from him I hear they are very good tractors and will last a lifetime of taken care of! His has wear and tear paint is worn etc but still runs like a champ! Thanks for any information guys!

Yes they are great machines. I gave $475 for my 917 with a blade but no deck. I think I got a great deal. In good condition with deck these machines are on average between $600-800 with only a deck but sometimes more depending on condition, accessories, and the local market. 

• Like 1

In the midwest the 7117 is very common.  Earlier ones had an orange frame,a nd later ones, a black frame.  Most of the later machines were manual lift, while the opposite seems to be true of the early orange frame models.  By the time the black frame rolled out, Allis brand was gone and SImplicity had scaled back the garden tractor line.  There was even a gap of roughly 2 years with no Sovereign production...I want to say that was in the 1989 timeframe.  

The early orange machines had Series 1 or series 2 KT17's.  The value of the 7117 really varies based on which of these varaints you have.  I have had trouble getting over $400 for a black frame, manual lift 7117 with deck.  I have seen series 2 orange frame hydrolift tractors list for a grand, and then sell rather quickly, assuming the seller got close to their price, that is quite a lot.  I feel a good market value for the more preferred orange/hydrolift would be around $500-750, depending on condition, rear lift, etc.  Allis variants fetch more.  When I let go of my 917H with early PS, I put $1200 on that, without any implements, and I had a list of guys to call back to tell them it had sold.  

• Like 1

Really, the 7117 was the precursor to the change of how these large frame Sovereign Series tractors evolved in their last run.  The 17 GTH-L was essentially a 7117, but was packaged with a new manufacturing thought process; one tractor, well optioned, and standardized, offered one way only. 17 horsepower twin.  Same tire setup, 23-10.50-12 / 16-6.50-8.  Hydro transmission.  Hydro Lift.  I am not sure if the only other option eventually offered, power steering, was available in 1990?  Anyway, Simplicity must have thought this was the ideal setup as far as horsepower and twin cylinder engines, as they finished the run through 2000 with 17 & 18 horsepower Kohler twins, and decidedly kept production costs down by offering the single variation.

Not everyone likes the KT series due to oiling issues.  The series 2 was a better engine in that it oiled the rods.  But most of the failures of these were due to low oil levels and not the engine itself.  Personally, I have had both Briggs singles, Kohler singles, and Kohler twin cylinder Commands, in addition to my Magnum's and KT's, and prefer the Magnum version  (KT's) over all other configurations for smoothness and overall steady power.  Perhaps that is why the 7117 was the blueprint for the final run.

• Like 7

• 8 months later...

I am looking at a 1985 Simplicity 7117.  It has the Kohler Twin 17.  Would this be the KT17?  If so- What years were the Series 1 and Series 2 used?

It is a lower hour machine and a one owner.  Any pro's or con's to these?

If you get the tractor MFG #, you can determine the Series (if engine is original). The Series II engine usually had an air cleaner with a “Series II” decal. 

SovShotEnginea.jpg.11bb751528a9b9bdd23b919be7970dda.jpg
It’s my understanding neither engine is great mowing parallel with a slope, especially the Seres I.  
And like all air cooled engines, an oil leak can result in chaff buildup under the tin leading to engine failure.  The 17GTH-L I picked up suffered that fate.  

Edited by PhanDad
Added pic
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 6:40 PM, kewach said:

I am looking at a 1985 Simplicity 7117.  It has the Kohler Twin 17.  Would this be the KT17?  If so- What years were the Series 1 and Series 2 used?

It is a lower hour machine and a one owner.  Any pro's or con's to these?

You can tell by spec no.  KT spec no. higher than 24300 = series II.  I like the KT and Magnums as they are smooth running, powerful, simple electrical, easy to work on and very durable.   If they have not broken a rod, most only need a new set of rings and they good for another 1500 hours. 

• Like 2