Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bad leaf season

GregB

Not been a good season so far, things keep breaking :(!First the full leaf trailer tipped over when I took the hill corner to sharp and broke the tongue off the vac mount. Tore it all apart re-welded the part. Re-assembled and vacuumed a few times. Then the 917 with a M18 threw a rod :OSwapped every thing over onto the 716-6 speed. As I was vacuuming I noticed what looked like a little smoke coming out between the head and block of the K341. Pulled head, cleaned carbon, and replaced the head gasket. Noticed some oil had come up the head bolts, maybe that was burning off? Tractor does not get used much or hard. Maybe did not really need the head gasket, but oh well.Then yesterday the last (hopefully) straw.............Noticed the vac was noisy, thought maybe I did not get the belt cover positioned right, or maybe It was loose. Nope not so lucky. On the vac clutch side there is a slight bump out where the impeller shaft and clutch bolt to the housing. The metal had fatigued and broke loose about half way around the circle. Tha'ts where the vibration was coming from.

smallblower.jpg

Arghhhhhhhh.Now to get the Mig welder out and try to weld it so it does not self destruct.I guess you could say most of this is self inflicted, but there never seems to be enough time.............

Greg, you were not meant to finishing with the leaves.

I had a similar (but not as bad as you) situation while trying to finish up with bagging leaves. I didn't quit after the first problem (cone clutch nut fell off, quick fix), I didn't quit after the second problem, or the third, but finally I sucked a piece of lumber into the blower and bent the blower shaft, put me out for the season. Each problem took me longer and longer to fix.

I now know that after a couple of hits by Murphy it time to just walk away before it gets worst (he always wins :(!).

Got it welded. Was able to get to most of the cracked surfaces without pulling off the drive.

smallweld.jpg

Knew I was getting good weld penetration by the amount of 30 year old grass smoke coming out of the blower output. Had to use the water spray bottle a couple of times.