Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

starter stopping motor?

sdhdcouple

Has any one ever had a start stick engaged to the fly wheel then have it stop the motor?

I was plowing snow on the 712s I have. running fine and just got done went to load it on the trailer and it just stopped, hard stop no sputter and die. I seen some heavy machine oil on the starter and seen it was engaged. my theory is when I started it the start stayed engaged into the fly wheel and has I was running the tractor it over heated the started and seized the starter which killed the motor.

Has this happened to anyone?

I had a kohler kt17 that would either not engage or stick on. Once a year I had to clear the tin, extend the starter, spray with carb cleaner and then triflow to get it to move freely. This was because of all the leaf debre. If the starter is not trashed, the oil could have swelled and caused it and attracted dirt. You'll know more when you get into it. Best of luck...

well I took the started of the 712H and put it on the 712s. still nothing. I can turn it over but it is a lot harder than the Hydro. starting to think I broke a connecting rod. I don't know. ready to go buy a new tractor.

ya I have 712 shuttle (the broken tractor), 712 hydro with a blower. I don't use the blower much so I took the blower off and put the blade on the hydro so I had a blow tractor. I have taken the motor out of the shuttle today, since I thought it was broken. but after taken the motor out it spin freely with out the drive shaft on it. the drive will not turn easy have to use a 36" bar to even turn it. the BGB seem to have had a major mal function. will be removing it tomorrow.