Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what is the name of the part?

sdhdcouple

What is the name official name of the part that the drive shaft comes into from the motor? It runs the pto of one side and the drive belts off the other. And does anyone have one for a 712S. mine is locked tight.

Usually they don't lock up but become noisy and if not repaired can chew up the case at the input shaft when the needle bearing fails.

That said, if the bolt/washer holding the gear to the input shaft comes loose, I would imagine it could jam the gears.

There are many repair threads for the BGB, this being one of the best:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122830

My advice is to open it up and see what the problem is. If it requires gears or shaft(s), it's usually cost effective to buy a used one. Most would replace the bearings and seals before installing it, but it depends on the shape it's in and $$ available.

To be sure it's not something else, take all the belts off (pto and transmission drive), but yes, you should be able to spin the gearbox by hand, either from the front or either side.

Without belt attached to either driven pulley, the gear box should rotate by hand. In fact some of us test the BGB and hydro by this method:

7018_Drill_0001.jpg

7018_Drill_0001.jpg.5f4ecf3ac8f4167b9228272d8e2307d1.jpg

I got one on my Allis Chalmers 712s tractor that iam gonna part as I hate shuttle , let me know if u need it .tractor runs great , but iam not into shuttle .

sent you mail.

What about the shuttle don't you like? I love it, well did anyhow. I got rid of 6 of my 7 Cub cadets because I like these Allis much better. the shuttle worked great for plowing as it goes fast in reverse.

I clicked your name and used the send an email link. I was asking about the part and or the tractor

my hydro is slow compared to my shuttle.

I will try again

If its in a very cold climate it can freeze up if water gets in thru the vent hole (common on some). if it thaws then change the gear oil asap and fix the vent cap...if its not frozen then back to the other plans...:(