Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis 916 no hydro filter & shift cutouts

rich_kildow

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that older large frames did not have hydro filters, but I'm not sure. The Allis 916 I just picked up is not equipped with a hydro filter. Can these be retrofitted to have a filter?

Also, I noticed that it has cutouts in the center frame tunnel for a 4 position shifter. Was that cutout on a hydro typical at some point, or have I ended up with a Franken-tractor?

My 916 has the hydro filter mounted forward of the rear end as do all of my Sunstrand equipment simplicity and allis tractors of that size. They all have a cut out for the shift pattern under the detail also.

I'll have to do some more looking, I just assumed it would be the same as my 7116. I guess there are more differences that I thought there would be.

As far as I know all the 7100 series and 900 series tractors had the cutouts for the gear shifter whether hydro or gear drive. Don't know if they discontinued the cutouts once the production of the manual transmission models ended or not in and around the time the Sunstars started being made and the GTH-L came out.

All the Sundstrand hydros had filters. Earlier models had the filter underneath behind the bevel gear box, and newer models had them on the left side of the transmission to the rear.

Sounds good, I just didn't look enough. I never noticed the cutout on my 7116 underneath the sticker, but the PO must not have punched the sticker out if they are there. I will take a look at that as well.

The Hydro tractors have a thicker "decal" over the shift pattern cutout. its like hard plastic. When I restored my 7116H it was broken so I layered some heavy aluminum foil duct tape over the metal before applying the thin aftermarket vinyl decal, so it wouldnt "poke thru" the cutout...sm01

FYI.

My 75th Anniversary frame (last Sovereign frame I believe) also has the gear shift cutout under the decal. And the decal is heavy, as Greg stated.