Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
skot71

"Repurposed" Home Made Snow Cab

skot71

Here's my "Repurposed" (as ZippoVarga called it when he saw it) snow cab I built out of stuff I had laying around (for the most part) for my Simplicity 727. I bought a blower for it since I couldn't imagine all that snow blowing back on me, remembering plowing snow last winter here in east central Indiana last year with my Allis B208. I looked around my shed for materials, and found an old baseball pitchback my boys used to use. Hmm, tubular metal frame?

cabframeonly.jpg

Bolted the front to the footrests, and screwed a 2x4 to the seat pan and bolted the back of the frame to that. Put wood dowels I had in the metal tube so the bolts wouldn't flatten it. Had another old pitchback frame and used it for the top of the door frame. Bought some 1x2's to help frame the door. Covered the door and right side with some plastic corrugation we had at my work. Also from work I got some old skid boards and vinyl banner material to frame the top then cover it with the vinyl. My Dad had some old storm windows with 1/16" plexiglass I used for the front and rear windows. They may get replaced since they cracked some when I installed them. For the side windows I bought some clear vinyl at Wal-Mart. 3 yards long, 56" wide for just over ten bucks. Here's the back view.

backofcab.jpg

Used some old cabinet door hinges I had for the door hinges, and hose clamps around the frame so I could adjust them just right. For the door latch inside, I used some old window locks I had. Really clamps the door closed tight. Here's a pic of the latch.

insidelatch.jpg

You can see the old license plates I used for extending the foot rests so the front tires don't kick snow up.By attaching the frame the way I did, I drilled and pinned the pivot so the rear end pivoting would not tear the cab apart. The top is a piece of tub surround I had used on our patio table before I replaced it with plexiglass. In the middle of the roof, on the inside, I used an old aluminum threshold I had to put a little upward arch in the roof so it wouldn't collect water. The whole roof slants towards the rear slightly.

cabframeonly.jpg.97b50a13745408e4e959a78184732d32.jpg

backofcab.jpg.35fa08e1435fa573ff120459c7b3e39f.jpg

insidelatch.jpg.5024905a00c20b9e3ff04ea0e0a987ec.jpg

skot71

I've taped up the openings with duct tape to keep as much wind out as I can. Seems to work pretty well. Here's a front view.

frontofcab.jpg

I also bought some LED lights to help the lights I used at the stock location. Mounted them on the inside of the windshield. Pic of the front with the lights on.

lightsanddooropen.jpg

I had some thoughts about CO2 overcoming me by getting in the cab. Zippo assured me it's heavier than air, so I should be fine. The bottom of the cab is open. Anyone see anything to worry about?I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on how to make it better.

frontofcab.jpg.d58450d8310d1c2e373d82f893ee4d1a.jpg

lightsanddooropen.jpg.63914ffce4e1fa14016c22f37cd60612.jpg

ZippoVarga

But Scott!!! I want the Caravan!!!!!!!!!...ok, not so much....It was fun to watch your ingenuity in putting the cab together and those LED lights look awesome up there! They'll also draw very little electricity. Are those like the ones I got? Did you find them at Rural King? Did you even see the ones I got? lol....Anyhow...I'd say Great Job!! But you already know that, cuz I've been saying it for a couple weeks now. Anyhow...I'll "shaddup" and let others chime in.

skot71

Yep, got them at Rural King. Don't think I saw the ones you have. These were about 25 bucks. I couldn't get to the back of the keyswitch to power them, so I tapped into the other lights' power. I'd have had to take most of the front of the cab apart to get the hood off! So I turn on the front lights, then turn on the LEDs. Amp gauge doesn't even move when I turn these on.

GrincheyOne

Unique use of "what's on hand" Scott! Looks commercial. Sean will tell you, I like to repurpose as much as I can. I see you solved the cab roof, 'cause I was going to suggest a washer pan, sold by Depot or Lowes to go under a washing machine, to control leakage (cheap).

Ought to take care of that nasty "back blast" from the thrower.

Cheers,

WaynedOd

ZippoVarga

Wayne, I hadn't thought of one of those! Or, for the low, low price of 7.00...one of those galvanized oil drip pans you put under your...er uh...my....37 year old Jeep! lol

Mark, I'm still gigglin...pope mobile....bwahhhhhaha. wah

I'm finding, as time progresses, that Scott is a lot like me. He see's a pile, and it turns it self into something, or he see's the potential in it. Like the old Sears Tent Camper I got off Scott this Summer. I'm towing the WHEELS off that thing! Ever seen an open bay trailer designed as multi purpose trailer? This thing is a BEAST with 13 spring packs in the leaf springs (heavy 3/4 ton), high rolled sides with stake pockets built in, three position tail gate (Lay Flat, swing away and dump) But this isn't about the trailer...lol. Thanks for the trailer Scott!!! lol

skot71

I probably have 20 bucks total in this cab. Clear windows and duct tape. I was at Sears last night in the tool section. They had a tractor with a cab on it. Wandered over just to see what they wanted for the cab. Black material with clear windows. No back on it, kind of flimsy tube frame. 300 bucks!!! Good lord.....

skot71

Ghost Rider has been updated a little. Put some LED lights on the top of the cab. Gave ZippoVarga my old regular lights for his help with my tractors. Also fabricated a windshield wiper. Had a wiper from some vehicle I had replaced one on. Used a metal rod that was threaded from a little garden flag post my wife didn't use. Bent that through the wiper (it was just the right size for the hole) and secured it with a nut. Drilled one hole and put it through. Bent the rod inside by hand and threaded another part of it on. No motor, but I guess I can call it an Armstrong Wiper! Should work fine.

cablights.jpg

cablights.jpg.03d3d316fedf7bd50ac785c5e6c57d35.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• SmilinSam
    • simplewrench
    • Tom45
    • littlefan
    • PhanDad
    • Bill725
    • AC710
  • Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Recent Status Updates

• SonOfCreepfeed

SonOfCreepfeed

Thinkin' about this old girl.

· 2 replies
    • Dean McFadden

Dean McFadden

Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁

· 1 reply
  • Adverts