Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

jcpahman77

Simplicity Yeoman 637 transmission stuck

jcpahman77

First of all, great site, lots of excellent information. From what I can tell from researching here I have a 1970 model year Simplicity Yeoman 637. It's been an up and down love affair so far, I love old well built equipment and I got mine for a very good deal from a friend with the 32" mower deck and 32" snow thrower. I've replaced just about everything but the chassis at this point; batter, motor (swapped a 12hp from a Murray that I bought second-hand), and most of the belts are new. Yesterday I was clearing my driveway when suddenly it stopped moving. I've had issues with the clutch for the drive wheels fully disengaging and so it "clunks" into gear. It hasn't been an issue before yesterday so I hadn't thought much of it. I've taken the belt off and the pulley on the transmission moves with the input shaft so I know it's not just the set screw on the pulley. I have the rear on a jack and if I turn one wheel the other turns the other way. I cannot get both wheels to turn the same way. Something is bound. I'm great with a wrench and do my own auto repairs, but this is new ground for me. Can anyone advise where I should start?

skot71

I can't help you with that, but someone should be along shortly that can. Welcome to the best club/site for Simplicity and Allis stuff on the whole internet. Bunch of good knowledgeable people here.

ss74nova

My 1963 Broadmoor locked up on me while mowing. I started to hear a skipping/rubbing noise from the rearend, then it seemed like it would jump a tooth or two in the rear diff. This went on for a couple mowings until the rear locked up totally. Not sure but I think a bearing went & then the gears locked up from not being aligned anymore. I never tore the tranny/diff apart. I just replaced the whole unit. Not sure if this is the same problem you are having. Maybe someone else that had a similar problem will chime in too. Good luck & welcome to the club! :)

Tim

CTD01

Ok first of all because of the differential one wheel will always spin opposite the other when you spin one wheel unless the diff is locked. What exactly is the problem? Is it thatIit is stuck in gear or that the tractor stopped moving? How does the shifter move? Did you check fluid? If you can spin it by hand then the engine will spin it no problem. We need more info as to what the tractor does.

jcpahman77

I almost want to replace it just for the peace of mind. I'm hoping to get at least a few more years out of this tractor. It's in decent shape for its age and I really don't want to be the one that kills it lol

jcpahman77
quote:Originally posted by CTD01

Ok first of all because of the differential one wheel will always spin opposite the other when you spin one wheel unless the diff is locked. What exactly is the problem? Is it thatIit is stuck in gear or that the tractor stopped moving? How does the shifter move? Did you check fluid? If you can spin it by hand then the engine will spin it no problem. We need more info as to what the tractor does.

id="quote">
id="quote">The shifter goes into all gears except first. The tractor doesn't move under its own power. I cannot move the tires in the same direction even with the gear selector in neutral. I did a fluid change on the trans/diff this summer and there have been no fluid leaks since doing the change.

jcpahman77
quote:Originally posted by GrincheyOne

Ah ha! A Peerless 801 transaxle. It is normal for this tranny to exhibit the reversed rotation. The 801 does not have a sycro gear mechanism. So to shift gears you have to come to a COMPLETE STOP BEFORE SHIFTING! The differential is a "squirrel cage style" and does not offer limited slip adjustment. This manual might help (Chapter7).http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEEGP_dqN3tG5Eyc7mRgtLvBCd6There is a broader coverage of the Peerless product at;http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_redirect.asp?linkid=239&linkname=Peerless+Transmission%2FAxle+repair+manual&catid=0&cattitle=&area=&refID=The transaxle model# is stamped on a metal tag, close to the disk brake assembly.Itis conceivable that the shifting keys (internal) are misaligned between gears in the cluster, due to trying to "shift on the fly".PM or email me if you need more assistance.

id="quote">
id="quote">Is this the type of thing that can be fixed outside of a shop? I've got an Explorer in my garage with the heads off of it so I'm willing to take this on, I just hate going in blind on a job I've never done before.

jcpahman77

GrincheyOne, when I Google the Peerless 801 transaxle it doesn't look like what I have. The images that I see have the input shaft and pulley parallel to the ground. On my tractor the input shaft and pulley are vertical.

CTD01

I thought old style peerless were in the allis models only. I could be wrong though. Im looking at a 637 right now and diff looks the same as my 707 only its a 3 speed. Cast iron case shape of an 8 almost.

jcpahman77
quote:Originally posted by CTD01

I thought old style peerless were in the allis models only. I could be wrong though. Im looking at a 637 right now and diff looks the same as my 707 only its a 3 speed. Cast iron case shape of an 8 almost.

id="quote">
id="quote">I would describe mine as a figure 8 shape as well. I'll take some pictures once my 2 year old goes to bed.

CTD01

I think the overall stop speed is the same just an extra gear down low. And if you want it faster loose that 3.5" front pulley and put a 4 or bigger off the broadmoor. The pulley I run on my 616 is the same pulley you run on the pto for the mower. Goes perfect speed for me.

jcpahman77

OK, so the question remains, do you think I can fix what's wrong with my transmission? I can't find anything used locally (yet) so an affordable replacement isn't yet likely.

--

I meant to mention this earlier; I live in West Michigan. We just broke the record for the snowiest November on record and last year was a record second highest amount of snowfall; we had 143" of snow fall last year.

--

I'm looking for equal parts affordability and time efficient in a repair option. I *should* be ok until next week since they are forecasting 40* temps and heavy rain for the weekend. We've had 23" of snow already this month and as a medically retired, disabled, combat veteran I can't really shovel as much as I would like to. I get around alright, but I have a tractor for a reason, especially since my wife works third shift and does not have 4wd. I'll take any pointers on how to get this thing moving again.

GrincheyOne
quote:Originally posted by jcpahman77

GrincheyOne, when I Google the Peerless 801 transaxle it doesn't look like what I have. The images that I see have the input shaft and pulley parallel to the ground. On my tractor the input shaft and pulley are vertical.

id="quote">
id="quote">SORRY Jesse,I got mixed up after reading Tim's (ss74nova) reply and pulled the manuals for a Broadmoor. Indeed the Yoeman has a more conventional 3 speed transaxle.These are the manuals for the Yoeman...Parts Manual for Yoeman 637http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCBEN8.wM4rE3CGh5kbp796Dq.pdfOwners Manual for Yoeman 637http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCyEN8auIZrE3CGh5kbp796Dq.pdfWaynePLS excuse the Senior Moment, and the bad reproductionsWELCOME to the Club, and enjoy, best $10 you will ever spend.

jcpahman77
Originally posted by GrincheyOne
quote:
id="quote">Senior moments are allowed. I'm hoping you'll forgive them when I have them and I am not yet even a senior, just struggle with occasional memory problems.I have the owners manual downloaded, and it has been a big help. I've even seen the exploded view of the transaxle from PartsTree, but unfortunately, I don't know enough about what I'm looking at to begin diagnostics myself. A few pointers or things to look for would go a long way to getting the process started.

GrincheyOne

The reproductions in the Operators manual are much clearer than in the IPL!

It appears that there is an idler pulley in the drive train; does it spin freely,or is the bearing seized?

Is the parking brake dis-engaged?

Just a couple thoughts b4 I go to 'Show and Tell".

Wayne

jcpahman77

I think the idler pulley you're seeing is the clutch, but it does spin freely, at this point, I'm testing the transmission without the belt installed and something is still preventing me from spinning the tires in the same direction by hand (as if it was rolling).

The parking brake I'm not even sure about. As best as I can tell by the time this tractor made it to me the parking brake was removed. I've seen it in the manual and I do not see it on my tractor.

CTD01

I just jacked mine up to see . Yes wheels spin opposite and when I make them spin together my drive pulley spins. Something definitely came apart in the diff unless your brake band is stuck. But if you say its stuck in 1st then something locked up inside.

jcpahman77

Yeah I know :I Keeping it functioning has taken a lot of time. I was just about to get chains on the tires, it came with some when I bought it but they're for a slightly different size tire. I also need to add a starter solenoid since I can't pull enough current through the starter switch to cold start the larger motor. All of those things have consumed my time, including having my neighbor weld a new battery shelf since the 12hp IC motor is physically larger than the 7hp that was originally on the 637 and the battery didn't allow the front end to stand all the way up, which was interfering with the operation of the snow thrower. I have the hood, but it doesn't clear the larger motor -- yet -- so that's on the ToDo list as well. When I start tearing into the rear end, are there shear pins or the like that I should look for or should I be expecting a larger failure at this point?