Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

DEUTZ - ALLIS 917

a_sannine

The rescue of the day DEUTZ - ALLIS 917 very good shape , deck like new , all there , I grabbed it around 9pm , owner got it for free from an old man he takes care of , sat in a barn for years ,tomorrow the diagnose will start :Dcan't wait .

nice looking tractor

avrd51.jpg

I found the biggest issue with th ose kt engines is they seem to always fill the crankcase with gas. We put a fuel shutoff on our 7119.

some of them do leak into engine yes , easy fix though , I love the late era beasts , any one knows where to find the green paint/decals for it , as I love to restore it one day , may be this winter .

Personally i would go to a paint supply house. Paint world, west Springfield auto parts, ect and have them shoot it with there gun and go from there.

Thanks for the info , unfortunately my beast needs a heart surgery , I had the chance to tinker a little with it today , I freed the engine that was seized soaked it with mystery oil and diesel, after like 2 hours I turned it by hand back and forth , it freed up right away , it turns but I feel something rubbing inside , not every turn though , every like 4/5 turns the noise comes , I don't wanna fire it before I open that engine to see what's going on , from what I can see it is been sitting for at least 9 years , the gas in it turned to varnish and water .

sfcqid.jpg

SmilinSam

You were absolutely correct about mouse house with supplies , I took the engine out , on the work bench I turned it , I knew right away something around the fly wheel not inside the engine . took the covers out , I was chocked to see all the walnut shells around a pound , so the engine been cracking walnuts , and packed with stuff, luckily they didn't chew the wires . . any way I took every thing out , cleaned the heck out of it , starter engine frozen , I replaced , rebuilt the carb with new kit and cleaned it well . new gas pump , put every thing together , time to fire it up , I cleaned the points fresh gas , cranked it , no start , I checked no spark , got dark , tired , I was like time to go rest tomorrow another day .

2me1rn7.jpg

2wrdzzk.jpg

It is very common for the ignition coil to go bad on the KT engines. And they are very expensive to replace.

You should have 4-5 ohms across the +/- terminals (primary) and 9500 to 11,500 across the 2 secondary (high voltage) terminals.

If not it is junk.

I just lost another coil this fall on a KT19. I replaced it with a Harley Davidson coil. About 1/3 the cost.

Thanks for the info Mike , I do have two spare ones if not 3 from other engines that threw a rod that I still have , any part number for the Harley Davidson coil interested to know .

The beast in action now , NO SPARK was due to the points adjustment been wrong , I gapped them to 0.20" and that beast fired right up , runs smooth like a car , very strong engine , back on feet again after all these years , I love this tractor .I am going to Sherwin Williams to have them match the paint , as I couldn't find that paint on line any where unless some one can drop a link , I got the code for it but no luck .

In this pic my beast is running .

21j26o4.jpg

Have you tried calling an AGCO farm equipment dealer in your area? Someone may have an old can sitting on the shelf they'd love to sell.

What is the problem with the gas getting into the crank case? Mine did that the other day,.havn't really looked into it yet but put a fuel shut-off on also. Only things I could figure is stuck float or something wrong with fuel pump.

Can you guys give me a heads up on what it is?

Thanks8D

Max S. Wood Equipment

11945 Route 9W

West Coxsackie N.Y. 12192

(518) 731-6019

www.maxwoodequipment.com

They stock quart cans and spray cans of the Deutz-Allis Spring Green. This is where I bought it from for my 914H. Great people to deal with and they have been in business since 1935. Maybe thay can ship what you need.

Robert thanks for the info , I will call them .

regarding the gas filling the crank case it is due to the float not set right and it doesn't shut off.

It can be either the carb float or the fuel pump. My experience is that if you get gas in the crankcase it is the fuel pump has an internal leak (bad gasket). On the KT twins usually if the float sticks the gas comes out around the carb and all over the outside of the engine and (maybe with the long intake tubes) does not get inside the engine.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• NandoG
    • tripleguy
    • GregB
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts