Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

allis 300 hydro trans

alliskid

I finally get back to putting a new axle tube in the transmission. I have it back together and the instructions say that after you put the housing back together, spin the parking brake shaft in order to be sure that it turns free with no binding.

My question is ... How easy should it turn?

I cannot turn it by hand but it will turn if I put a ratchet on the end of the parking brake shaft, with a little effort and turns consistent with no hard spots.

This is my first time at this level of wrench pulling.?

Thanks

Dave

That's a great question. And I'd like to know the answer also because I might be replacing an axle tube in my Allis built Homelite T-12. An opinion: Is your tranny is the older type (brake doesn't work in "free-wheel"? This is a pic of the "free-wheel" lever on my Homelite (an old version):

T12_trans_decalb.jpg

If your tranny is an old one, then with the lever in "drive", I'd expect resistance when turning the brake shaft since you're turning the entire gear set. But if the lever is in "neutral", then the brake shaft is disconnected from the gear set and I'd think it would be easy to turn. Thoughts anyone?PS: The newer Vickers, like on a 3416H, have a different "free-wheel" lever that's opposite of the older style (and the brake works in both positions). Here's a pic of that style:

3416_trans_decala.jpg

T12_trans_decalb.jpg.3f025d17eb8c110e1fc995f18b765ca7.jpg

3416_trans_decala.jpg.68e691390ab5b3271dda2fd643cca131.jpg

Thanks Bill!

Mine would be the older type.

It takes the same effort to turn whether in freewheel or not.

It is easier to split the case again when it is on the bench than to take it apart after it is installed on the tractor to find out something is wrong.

Dave

On the Vickers hydro when you have the lever in neutral (disengaged) the brake drum is no longer connected to the axle.

Note: don't hop on your Vickers hydro tractor in neutral and cost it down the hill thinking that you can stop it with the brakes (something I learned the 2nd day I owned the tractor - yee haa).

So turning the brake while the lever in neutral should NOT turn the axle.

There is a large gear overdrive between the axle and brake which would make it hard somewhat hard to turn.

I would turn the axle, you should be able to get enough leverage just from the hub or differential housing.

They turn real easy with the wheel attached.

I split the tranny again and found that one of the keys on the large gear was protruding past the gear and not allowing the large spacer to come up against the gear. Thus not allowing everything to be in the right place when the casings were put together and causing tension so the gears would not spin freely.

So to answer my original question...... When the transmission is put back together you should be able to spin the parking brake wheel freely and the transmission will turn easily..

Dave