Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

landlord2210

thinking of starting a custom build

landlord2210

I was thinking of making something different but not sure what to build. I have 3 idears floatin around my head.

1.) Building a high crop 2210 for cultivating in the garden for a longer use without hurting the plants.

2.) Building an offset tractor out of a 2210 to make it like a farmall cub to be able to more easily see what im cultivating.

3.) Building a tricycle front end on a simplicity 2010 that would be more of a show thing than any practical use besides maybe running some type of rear implement.

what do you guys think i should do any ideas on how to do it?

gwiseman
quote:Originally posted by landlord2210

I was thinking of making something different but not sure what to build. I have 3 idears floatin around my head.1.) Building a high crop 2210 for cultivating in the garden for a longer use without hurting the plants.2.) Building an offset tractor out of a 2210 to make it like a farmall cub to be able to more easily see what im cultivating.3.) Building a tricycle front end on a simplicity 2010 that would be more of a show thing than any practical use besides maybe running some type of rear implement.what do you guys think i should do any ideas on how to do it?

id="quote">
id="quote">My personal opin:I like the hi-crop idea. Hi-crop farm tractors were popular in the south but not in mid-west so when I see one at a tractor show they really capture my attention. Building an offset model would be my 2nd choice. My first cultivator experience was on a Super A Farmall.

720nut

How about bullgear assemblies off of a 620/720 or powermax tractor think that would give you the height and should be pretty easy to locate seeing there's a bunch of guys parting them out.

rokon2813

I know it does not apply here (or not?), but there is a guy here in New York that built a high crop Cub Cadet. He used Farmall Cub drop housings on his cadet rear.

Anyway, I've thought about it with Simplicity. My thought was building my own drops out of steel, 2 bearings at the bottom with stub shafts and wheel hubs. Chain drive from the original axle down to the stub shafts.

Either custom off set wheels, so the hub was flush with the inside edge of the tire, then you could bolt the chain sprockets to the inside of the hub, and wheels to the outside, or

Attach sprockets to the ends of the axle tube at the top, and inside end of the stub shaft at the bottom.

victorsnc

Allis Chalmers used "drop axles" (aka portal) extensively on most of their entire tractor line. I know the D17 used them right up until the last model. Fortunately, Allis made a "B" model tractor, similar to a Farmall Super A. If you are going to do a custom build Simplicity, it would be fitting and proper to use as Allis Chalmers parts. Attached is a picture of a drop axle housing from a B.

Allis B drop axle.jpg

57e06146181d1_AllisBdropaxle.jpg.60a618f0f70c76cd8068e6acb01d14df.jpg