Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter turns slowly

mruta

Hey again,

The starter on my B-112 seems to turn slower than it should. I am basing this on my experience with other engines, not factual knowledge, or comparing it to a specification. For the record, the battery is fully charged and I am not losing any voltage through the connections- full battery power is going to the starter.

I was about to pull the starter apart to see if anything looked dirty or otherwise problematic but though I should check with you all to see if you had any advice first.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!!

If you have good connections, it is probably getting pretty gunked up inside. A good cleaning might help. That was the plan on my 7116 and it made a world of difference. I found a few chips in the armature when it was apart, though, so I still replaced it after a bit.

If you have good connections, it is probably getting pretty gunked up inside. A good cleaning might help. That was the plan on my 7116 and it made a world of difference. I found a few chips in the armature when it was apart, though, so I still replaced it after a bit.

I would loosen the belt and then oil the starter with a few drops of good quality electric motor oil. There should be a small metal flap on one end of the starter generator where you can oil the end bearing. I would then crank up the starter motor and let it run up in speed for 10 to 15 second intervals with no belt load...don't run the motor for excessive periods of time as you do not want to overheat the starter motor.

Best of luck.id="size1">

So I was impatient and decided to pull it apart. Nothing looked out of the ordinary, really. Everything had a ton of fine black dust on it, so I cleaned that out, cleaned off the commutator with some emery cloth and reassembled it. The brushes looked to be about half worn. NAPA was able to order me some new ones with part numbers I found from a John Deere site. This S/G must have been rebuilt, or is a rebuilt unit someone installed, as it has sealed bearings on both ends.

I found a YouTube video of someone testing a starter generator on a Cub Cadet tractor, and it sounded exactly like mine does. I'm going to reinstall it this evening and check to make sure it is charging, then move on with my life.

Thanks for the support, fellas!