Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

lobsta1

Blower hookup???

lobsta1

My AC 710 needs an engine so I bought a 3012 that came with a 49" deck & a 42" blower. With the wet heavy snow we get around here I thought I would be better off using the 36" instead of the 42". Swapped the hitch from the 42" to the 36" blower. Noticed that the prior owner (who only had this for a few months after cleaning out his father-in-laws garage after his demise) had the vee of the belt going to the right, flat idler pulley with the flat backside of the belt going to vee left pulley.

Started the tractor & it IMMEDIATELY kicked the belt off the auger pulley.It does this as soon as the engine starts to crank. No difference if I have the tension arm on the hitch engaged or not.

I don't have a manual for this older type hitch.I have the belt vee coming off the right side of the crank pulley going around the bottom of the right idler with the flat against the pulley. It then goes the the top of the auger vee-side down & off the bottom to the bottom of the the left idler with the vee up against the pulley & then up to the the left side of the crank with the vee-side against the pulley.

It appears to me the belt might be to long, the belt retainers in the wrong position or the adjustment of the tension arm is off.

Any suggestions for me? Thanks for any assistance anyone can give me.

Al

DanD

Sounds like you have it backward. As you're sitting on the tractor, the belt is pulled by the left side of the crank pulley. That side of the belt needs to go under the left pulley and to the bottom of the blower pulley in order to turn the blower in the right direction. And of course like you said the V side of the belt goes into the V idler pulley while the flat side rides on the flat pulley.I think this may help you.

SovyScreenshot 2014-11-25 23.54.53.jpg

Also here is a link to the owners manual from Simplicity.http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/document/index?doc=TP_100_1688_00_AT_SMA_LO.pdf

57e0610814c2b_SovyScreenshot2014-11-2523_54_53.jpg.9526c0f7246f4f94bae99e4ab3742c00.jpg

lobsta1

Thanks for your reply. I do have the belt mounted as you pictured. Unfortunately that link you posted is for the crank mounted PTO units. The hitch I moved from the 42" to the 36" blower has the belt engagement on the hitch.

Does anyone know what the part #'s are for the hitch & belt.

Thanks

Al

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burntime

The 7000 and 700 series allis did not have the mounts for a mid mount pto. You need a side panel and idler. It can be done, but it WILL jump the belt if not modified. You need to either modify it or use the front pto... You may get by with just tweeking the current idler and flip flopping the pulley on the blower. Also, downsizing the 7 inch pulley to say a 5.5 inch will bring the 42 inch blower to life! You could also change out the sprocket on the side of the blower or both depending on the HP you have...

MikeES

I think we need more information. I assume that you are using the 3012 for snow throwing.

1). The 42" will work just fine with a 12hp engine.

2.) The 3012 will require a manual belt tensioner ( a lever to engage the belt right by the hitch pulleys, with a rod going back on the right side of the hood close to the steering wheel.

3.) If that is what you have then you need to check pulley alignment. It is easy to bend the mounts for the belt pulleys on the hitch when you are sliding around the snow thrower.

Your 710 would have a clutch on the engine to engage and disengage the belt for thrower. So your belt pulley is spring loaded and engaged all the time.

lobsta1
quote:Originally posted by MikeES

I think we need more information. I assume that you are using the 3012 for snow throwing.1). The 42" will work just fine with a 12hp engine.2.) The 3012 will require a manual belt tensioner ( a lever to engage the belt right by the hitch pulleys, with a rod going back on the right side of the hood close to the steering wheel.3.) If that is what you have then you need to check pulley alignment. It is easy to bend the mounts for the belt pulleys on the hitch when you are sliding around the snow thrower.Your 710 would have a clutch on the engine to engage and disengage the belt for thrower. So your belt pulley is spring loaded and engaged all the time.

id="quote">
id="quote">You are correct in everything. What I just thought of is the 42" blower had a complete belt guard on the auger pulley. The newer 36" from the 710 does not have any kind of belt retention on the auger pulley. I think I might have to take the pulley off both units & then put that guard onto the 36" blower. Does that sound right?ThanksAlP.S. I think the 42" with just a 12 HP driving might have trouble with the heavy, wet, slushy stuff.HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lobsta1

Looked at everything a little closer today. Found that the FDT 42" bower with the belt guard is about a 5" diameter. The 36" from my defunct 710 has a 7" pulley with no guard. The 5" guard clamps around the shaft tube. The 36" shaft tube looks to be the same diameter. Have to see if I can swap them over.

If I am correct the auger will now spin 29% faster. Is the auger & associated parts capable of being driven that fast. The auger should throw the snow further, but will it have the torque to lift the heavier snow?

If I'm all wet in my ideas, please let me know.

Thank You

Al