Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
DMKNLD

7114 starting issue

DMKNLD

After the recent cold snap in New England my 7114 wouldn't turn over enough to fire. Even though my 51R battery from TSC was new last January ( which was also the manufacture month), I took it to a local auto parts store to do a load test and they said it tested OK at 450 cca. I keep it on a battery maintainer year round when I'm not mowing or snow blowing. There's no visible battery corrosion or loose terminals.

I filed / sand-paper clean all the battery to starter connections, but last night I went to snow blow the first round of our Maine Nor'easter and it turned over enough to fire once, but I over-choked it and then it wouldn't turn over enough to start. I jumped it with the car battery and it fired right up no problems.

Does this sound as if it is likely still a battery issue or is maybe my starter on the way out ? I do still have straight 30 weight oil in it from the summer. I have the 10W-30 in the tractor garage but was too tired at 1 AM to change it out after doing battle with the "Sierra Cement" snow we had! But it was 32 F temp so it wasn't that cold.

Any ideas much appreciated. And Happy Turkey Day everybody!

DMKNLD

Thanks for the quick reply BLT, and Happy Thanksgiving !

Is the relay "all or nothing" function, or if it's going bad would it cause a voltage drop to the starter ? I guess I should volt meter the DC voltage at the starter vs the battery voltage to see if it's that much different. I know batteries can show adequate voltage but still have a bad cell, but I would think that VIP Autos' battery load test should have identified that.

Brettw

Those engines also have a compression release. If they have failed, they are tough to turn over, and especially so in the cold. I am not sure how to test for proper function, other than a compression tester.

BLT
quote:Originally posted by DMKNLD

Thanks for the quick reply BLT, and Happy Thanksgiving ! Is the relay "all or nothing" function, or if it's going bad would it cause a voltage drop to the starter ? I guess I should volt meter the DC voltage at the starter vs the battery voltage to see if it's that much different. I know batteries can show adequate voltage but still have a bad cell, but I would think that VIP Autos' battery load test should have identified that.

id="quote">
id="quote">You can get a quick idea by running a jumper wire from the starter terminal to the battery (+). If the starter functions properly, you either have dirty terminals or a bad relay.

maxwood

Hello, Back in the old days we would check the battery electrolyte level, and fill it with distilled water to the proper level, or check it with a battery hygrometer. All that charging may have reduced they battery water(electrolyte) level.

Thanks Ken in Mi