Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Battery level

Simplicity7013H

I have a Deka battery in my 7013H and it always seems to be affected by the cold. It has 562CA at 32* and 450CA at 0*. It always seems to be dead. The charging system doesn't work though. I needed to plow snow but instead I'm waiting for the battery on the charger. Oh, another thing I though you might want to know is that my barn on average is about 15-25 (not insulated, don't run heater when I'm not out there). Any suggestions? Thanks

First of all how old is battery? If fairly new, have you taken an ohmmeter and checked battery voltage with the engine running as it should be in neighborhood of 13 - 13.5 or a tad more.

I got the battery last December. So about a year old. With the engine running it reads 12VDC. Charging system is shot. (I think). I don't think the starter is generating any electricity.

Thanks

Start by checking the ground and cleaning the contacts on the voltage regulator. Not sure if there are different fields for starting and charging, never dug in that deep. I had a 7016 that barely charged. Turned out the ground was so so, and the voltage regulator leads were terrible. After cleaning it up it was night and day!

Start by fixing whatever is wrong with the charging system. Once you know you have output, then you can diagnose battery problems. Running on the battery alone, and running it down isn't good for it.

How much snow ya got over there in OC?

Haven't had time to checkout the charging system yet. But we have about 4.5 to 5 inches over here. After plowing the whole drive into one pile at the end of the drive then pushing it into one at the edge of the driveway,it was taller than the plow.

I finely bought a new pos. cable & that took care of mine. brushes at Napa here are $6.00 volt. reg. $58.00. Better to charge a battery at 1.5-3.0 amps. for 3 days rather than 30-50 for a couple of hours

Until you can trouble shoot your charging system, keep a trickle charger/battery maintainer on the battery at all times so the battery stays charged up and you can at least get started. You don't even need the battery after the engine is running (I assume you have original Briggs engine). SO, once the engine is started, you're good to go. My dad operated the 7016 I now have this way for years. I finally fixed the charging system several years ago now but it hurt nothing to operate it the way I described.