Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
d_sharier

Simplicity Push Mower History

d_sharier

Hi everyone. I have been a member of this forum for only a short time and this will be my first posting. I have tried to do my own research on this and have come up pretty close to empty handed. I am a pretty big Lawn-Boy fanatic. Don't be alarmed! I do also own a 60's 2010 Landlord (w/ hydraulic lift) and a 60's 101. I have also all but closed a deal on a Garden Mark Squire with a deck, tiller, and blade from the original owner. So I have caught the Simplicity bug too. A friend of mine has acquired a "neat little find" that has peaked my interests from both sides of the spectrum ( Lawn-Boy and Simplicity) In the early 80's his grandfather purchased a Simplicity 1221 from a local Model: 1221MFG: 1690511Serial:003450When I saw it the first thing out of my mouth was "That's a Lawn-Boy". The deck does have some very noticeable differences but there are also a ton of similarities. Enough that it has me searching for some information. I have found some information on the web, but not much. I have found owner's manuals and IPL's for the Simplicity line as well as the Homelite variant. Aside from one thread that I found on this site, I did find a youtube video of a fella running a 1969 Simplicity mower. The video did not offer any information on the history. I did notice in the comment section that someone stated that this guy's mower was a particularly rare find considering "Lawn-Boy had sued Simplicity" over the deck design. I was not able to verify that statement. I found no history on Lawn-Boy or Simplicity regarding a law suit. I am not saying none exists, I just couldn't find any. I posted a thread here and have asked the Lawn-Boy guys I know if there is any information available on history of these mowers. I will try to attach some pictures as well. I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say and all information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

IMG_7417.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_8967.jpg

IMG_8300.jpg

IMG_5082.jpg

IMG_7417.jpg.1a4f3b7114d1823f58fdb92ded110c2d.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg.01860a36b3842304787dc07842dea940.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg.b610a580b20246a59ea9e6da34bdfc94.jpg

IMG_8967.jpg.90b84c0bef4c0a236038ca66a7a1b800.jpg

IMG_8300.jpg.0d5cc74a0a31b062e780faa9d9dd7296.jpg

IMG_5082.jpg.c97e7582061b2234759762b90959a1c6.jpg

Chris727

Welcome aboard. Yes these mowers are very similar to Lawn Boy. The drive system is also very similar. The parts do not interchange. I compared NOS lawn boy and AC decks side to side. The chutes look the same but fit differently and will not interchange. The drive rollers are also a little bit different. I have two of the AC "strider" mowers from the early 70's. Its possible that these were built by an outside supplier for Simplicity. Lawn Boy did make some mowers for Cub Cadet but their parts interchanged with other Lawn Boy mowers and had 2 cycle engines.

d_sharier
quote:I don't know anything about your mower, but Nice Shop! Welcome to the club. Daveid="quote">
id="quote">

As much as I wish it was, that awesome garage belongs to my friend. I love my own, it is set-up perfectly for the work I do. However I could fit about 6 or 8 of them in Russ's. LOL

d_sharier
quote:is that deck magnesium?id="quote">
id="quote">

It is cast. I don't know if it is mag or mag/aluminum. I would bet that it is blended. I know Lawn-Boy started using the blended in the 70's so I'd imagine this is too.

Karl_Brandt

Hello,I have a Allis Chalmers lawnmower just like yours.I bought the lawnmower at a tractor show in 2008. MFG. No. 1690562 ser.002312 3.5hp B&S engine 929908 2075-01 8004140 Simplicity ,mfg.1690512 I have not seen one since.

mower-1.jpg

mower-2.jpg

bagger.jpg

D-17_Dave

The line of walk behind mowers and garden tillers were made by HAHN manufacturing from the beginning of the sales line of walk behinds from about 1966/67, till sometime in the mid 70's.

I have the same model Allis walk behind bagger model as above and several others as well as all but one of the walk behind garden Tiller models. Also have one of the HAHN branded tillers. All running, all like me, well worn. Lol.

This may help, finally found my old thread.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=121058&SearchTerms=generator

DaveBsACs

Hahn is correct. They also made the MowBee line and some of the snowthrowers as well.If you look close the B206 and Homelite RM7 are a pretty good match for the Hahn line at that time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• dayardguy
    • Brettw
    • Sovereignm88
    • RenegadeJ
    • R. McGee
  • Today's Birthdays

1. Big 10
      Big 10
      (71 years old)
    2. cowfan
      cowfan
      (51 years old)
    3. dynodave
      dynodave
      (71 years old)
    4. WaylandLegacy
      WaylandLegacy
      (44 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

• SonOfCreepfeed

SonOfCreepfeed

Thinkin' about this old girl.

· 2 replies
    • Dean McFadden

Dean McFadden

Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁

· 1 reply
  • Adverts