Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity7013H

Gas Tank Leak

1978Simplicity7016H

By the way is there a proper way to clean a gas tank? I mean the old metal ones in tractors. I always have put gas in it, close the tank completely, and just swayed the tank so the gas cleans the interior of the tank. I don't want to wast gas, but that is the only way I know of to clean them. Carburetor cleaner would work, but I don't want to waste that either. I don't have a sandblaster either.

Burntime

Put some solvent in it, a handful of nuts and bolts, bungie it to the rim on the outside. Second, mow the lawn. Sounds funny but it does work! Usually all the hard stuff is loosened up and you have a gas and rust slurry.

Chris727

If it's just grass and minor debris I use gas to flush the tank. I save my old stale fuel for use as a cleaner. It does a good job. Unless the tank has a lot of rust I wouldn't sandblast it. There is a galvanized coating that you would remove and it would open up the tank to more rust.

1978Simplicity7016H

I feel bad now because it seems like I have taken over Simplicity7013Hs topic about his problem about his tank leaking. I was just wondering because tonight I was going to clean the tank in my 3212. It looks really good for how old it is. It has been setting a little while now. I have gotten it running now and even have a snowblower. Now for the electrical system.

fishnwiz

Don't worry about the thread hijacking. ...happens all the time and the guys here are so eger to help out that I have never seen anyone get bent out of shape if a thread takes a detour. All the more reason that this is the best tractor site on the web IMO !

PeppyDan

I just sealed two tanks yesterday using a two part epoxy tank sealer from Caswell. This stuff has very good reviews and in using it I can see why. Both parts of this stuff comes out of the can like THICK molasses and needs to be mixed together to activate. The directions are very clear and detailed including how to properly clean the tank and very specific information about the effects of temperature and working times within those temperatures. One of the reviews mentioned something about being able to seal a cardboard box and have it hold up after dry. It is not cheap but not that much more than single stage sealers so it was worth the risk if it works the way the reviews say it does!

We will see how it lasts!

Dan