Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Reproduction parts

stevenb210

I am lookin into havein dual spacers and light bars for round hoods and rear light brackets and light mounts for square hoods made up and was wonderin what people would pay for parts i can also get front and rear ball hitches made

quote:Originally posted by Killer_A-C

Pretty sure other club members are already doing them....

id="quote">
id="quote">Yep, I don't want to make this an advertisement but I already make all except the square hood light brackets but have a set waiting for fabrication. I also make several other items which have all been patterned from OEM parts to exacting specs. Dan

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Start making knurled hood bolts and you will sell a ton!dOd

id="quote">
id="quote">Adam had made up a big production run of them, but Im not sure if they all sold or if there's a big old box of them some place. I seem to remember him asking something like $55/set. His bro in law or someone worked in a facility equipped to make exact replicas, and he used one of my NOS bolts to model them from.

I think Mark is referencing the knurled round hood type...at least that's what I was mentioning. Wells is my top choice for the flathood, wing style bolts. I like them, but my flathoos tractors love to vibrate them loose. I find them in the spring.

Originally posted by PeppyDan
quote:
id="quote">I know this is not the place to advertise, but I myself would not mind a post, maybe a sticky in tech tips or the craigs list and other ads forum, of a list of members and what they make. Somewhere any member could go look for a repop part.

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

Wells now has the knurled bolts too.

id="quote">
id="quote">Common! Really? I had no idea. Im headed there now to check that out!

Originally posted by rokon2813
quote:
id="quote">I know this is not the place to advertise, but I myself would not mind a post, maybe a sticky in tech tips or the craigs list and other ads forum, of a list of members and what they make. Somewhere any member could go look for a repop part.
id="quote">id="quote">I have thought about this also and thought a good place would be an additional category in the classified adds for "reproduction parts".Dan

Having a forum called "Reproduction Parts" or "Fabrications" would be easy to set up. They would need to be run by Kent.

A lot of these parts are getting really tuff to find. They also get buried in the show and tell forum and have limited access to be viewed.

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I think Mark is referencing the knurled round hood type...at least that's what I was mentioning. Wells is my top choice for the flathood, wing style bolts. I like them, but my flathoos tractors love to vibrate them loose. I find them in the spring.

id="quote">
id="quote">Flathoos ?? I know what a Bubbler is on my side of the pond but am unaware of a flathoos ?sm00

I would also love a new sub section to keep everything in one place and easily found. It would also be easier to forward people looking for parts to one section instead of telling them a name. Maybe the people that make the parts can leave a contact number/email as well.

Coin Knurling would be the term for the impressions on the "T" hood bolts. It's good that Someone is making these. I've got a really nice stainless set, but I've paid a pretty penny for nice originals. At $72.00 for a set of four from Wells (more than I've ever paid), I'll take my chances on locating them elsewhere. A bit steep on their prices when other places reproduce items for our machines elsewhere without the markup. Them being a Brick and Mortar business, they have lots of overhead. So I'm not bad mouthing them...just saying...with a little researching, you can do better on price for what they offer.

I don't think they are that far off...it wasn't long ago, that a set of four hoodbolts could easily fetch $100 on da bay. I see them much more often now, however, and they seem to run around $10/ea (usually sold in pairs), for Ok-condition used ones. Rusty ones might be half as much. Maybe the availability of these replicas are what have driven used prices down as of late? I have drawers full of these darn things...was supposed to be my retirement fund! &:)

I don't think any amount of researching would yield an exact replica bolt, and anything oem in like-new condition would fetch a premium to at least rival Wells' pricing. It's mot fair to assume their markup...nobody reproducing any parts is giving them away out of the good of their hearts, or at least, they shouldn't be.

I agree with you Josh. I was just saying it's too rich for my blood when I know I can use a little patience and find nice originals for a fraction of the cost. I wonder what ever happened to the guy who was making the Stainless ones? Now THOSE I would pay $18.00 a piece for! And as far as assuming their markup...well, I know what they paid for Bryans mufflers, so there's no assumption on the markup. At least on that singular item. As I said....I understand and sympathize that they have bills to pay. They're running a retail business. I'm just saying, with a little persistence, one could find what they need for considerably less and comparable in appearance.

Again, I wasn't bad mouthing Wells at all....they provide a lot of good FREE information on our Paint colors etc. They're great people to deal with and they help a lot of people with their restoration needs. Just saying, a cheap (delete expletive)like me, can save a few bucks by sourcing elsewhere. ;)

$72 is pretty cheap or a good deal in my opinion. Lathes, tooling, cost of materials, time and labor are not cheap. Those appear to be chromed as well. More than likely had to have a certain amount made to get that price down to $18 each.

tkno1.jpg

tkno1.jpg.f39c20e8d78f2049fca0f4cbafd8174d.jpg

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, so I'll put it this way. I'd rather go to the source (Manufacturer) and save the mark ups. Hope that clears up how cheap I am...lol.