Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dhoadley

Mystery Tractor

dhoadley

I was making a delivery at a place with alot of equipment about the yard and a small tractor caught my eye. It was pretty old (70's or 80's), about the size of my A/C 414, 4WD w/ narrow Ags, hydraulics front and rear. It had been painted a couple of times, had a plow on the front and a JD field mower on the back. I asked the owner what it was and he said it was a Kubota, though he couldn't remember the model. One of the few times I wish I had a smartphone so I could have taken a picture and posted it up. I googled "vintage kubota images" and couldn't find anything similar. You guys are a bad influence on me. One of these days...... Dave

fishnwiz

Pssst...hey...come over here...I want to talk to you...Buy it NOW!!!|)

The best time to buy a neat ol tractor is when you see it!! This tractor will stick in your head and get kooler 8D with each passing day!

Glad I could be of some help with your addiction! }:)

GrincheyOne

Dave,

Years ago, when an outside contractor was pouring the pads for the "smoking shacks" at work, He had a Kabota FEL, 2500 that had the appearance and color of an older Bolens (shades of gray). The supervisor of the Janitors (whose son and he had a landscape business on the side) said they saw a goodly number of these at weekend auctions.

Kent

Kubota B7000. I had one for a while. Neat little machine but the rear PTO is 2000RPM and rotates backwards. Attachments for it are limited and pricey, if you can find them. I wouldn't recommend for serious general purpose work, only for loader use -- and it's a 500lb loader. Replaced mine with the Power Trac PT-425 and haven't looked back...

Here's pics of the one I had:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=kubota&ss=0&ct=0&mt=all&w=13376785%40N00&adv=1

dhoadley

After poking around the internet a bit I have come to the conclusion it is most likely a B5100DT.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/2/6/1266-kubota-b5100.html

or possibly a B6100D.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/2/6/1269-kubota-b6100.html

I don't think, Kent, that it was big enough to be a 7000.

Too bad about the PTO, though it had a JD "field mower"(?) hooked up to it.

Kent

The 7000 isn't really much bigger than a Sovereign...

Here's a couple pics beside my 3112V:

IMG_0548

IMG_0549

Once upon a time, you could get a conversion gearbox that reversed the rear PTO to normal, so it could use American 2000 RPM attachments, but they're scarce as hen's teeth...

Les

If it is a Kubota B5100, it will have a standard 540 PTO

True the B6000 and B7000 Kubotas have the backward rotating PTO's, I have heard that they make PTO converter kits but I have no actual knowledge of that.

I owned a B6100E(two wheel drive) and sold it. I missed it so bad that I bought another B6100 two years ago.

Note that a lot of these old Kubota tractors are "gray market" originally sold in Japan and imported as used. During the Clinton administration Kubota got the US Govt to declare this practice illegal. Personally I object as I believe in freedom but that is another discussion.

The grey market tractors will have a different model number, usually just one digit difference, i.e. B7100 for the US version, B7001 for the grey market version. You can get on the Kubota web site for a cross reference chart.

Kubota dealers are forbidden to sell parts for a gray market tractor so be careful.