Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117 BGB Cover-plate without drain?

oldbroketractor

Prepping my 7117 for the winter and the cover plate for the bevel gear box does not have a drain plug. The tractor is all original. Has anyone ran into the same problem? I wanted to change the hydro fluid or at least top it off. The gear box is starting to whine and the fluid looks low. Been using auto trans fluid in the transmission but afraid to mix what is in the BGB. Any thoughts?

You could attempt to suck out what is in there. The newer units didn't have a drain, and I am not sure why. The trans fluid and the BGB take different fluids, unless it is a gear tractor. A good 80-90 weight gear oil is what should be used in the BGB.

In my B-110 and Homelite T-12, I run the original spec'd 80-90 gear oil as Brett stated.However in my newer tractors, I used the multi-purpose oil in the BGB and Sundstrand tranny as stated in the owners manual at bottom of the list:

BGB_Fluid.JPG

And, IMO, there's no more BGB drain to save a few $$$, loosing the closure plate is in the owners manual instructions:

BGB_Inst.JPG

Others have also used the red ATF in the BGBs, I don't.If you run your tractor in the winter, I think the multi-purpose oil is the best since it's a little thinner. Also only need to keep 1 fluid on hand if you only run hydro tractors.

BGB_Fluid.JPG.836ef8ffdb3d5a3c6933f42dbe5666ff.JPG

BGB_Inst.JPG.6d0c0c0251145370d35e8ba03e8d7854.JPG