Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

More distance from a snowblower

rich_kildow

I've heard rumors of ways to get more throw distance out of the single stage snowblower attachments. There are some areas in my driveway where I can't quite throw it far enough and end up moving the same snow twice.

I know about attaching rubber to the center paddles to close up the gap, which I will probably do this weekend. Keeping it clean and the chute lubricated with Pam or something helps a bit to, I would imagine.

Is there anything else to do besides changing the driven pulley on the blower itself to a smaller one? If I went this route, how much smaller is recommended? I really don't want to sacrifice my ability to clean up a 12" snowfall but I know that nothing is for free.

I'm in the midst of a similar test. My 42" is from a FDT and has a 5" pulley instead of the standard 7" that is on my RBT 36". So far I've only had wet snow that it didn't handle too well, due to clogging, but I didn't seem hit too hard in the power department. [16HP Briggs] Once I see some real snow I'll let you know if I feel the need to change the pulley or not.

20141022_005823000_iOS.jpg

20141022_005823000_iOS.jpg.da42a947f1ac3af0300ccc8f0c70c1d4.jpg

I put a 5.5 on mine, wow oh wow! I had 17 plus HP. I was going to drop 2 teeth on the sprocket next. They will clog less. Also make sure it is running at 3600 load speed. It makes a difference...

quote:Originally posted by drbrian722

I'm in the midst of a similar test. My 42" is from a FDT and has a 5" pulley instead of the standard 7" that is on my RBT 36". So far I've only had wet snow that it didn't handle too well, due to clogging, but I didn't seem hit too hard in the power department. [16HP Briggs] Once I see some real snow I'll let you know if I feel the need to change the pulley or not.

20141022_005823000_iOS.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">I recognize that pile or scrap in the background! I notice I gotta keep my blower full in order to achieve the farthest distance. If you have the engine try going a little faster.

ive had a experience with both with the rubber on the paddles carl, they both did great. in the spring i sand the shute and put about 4 coats of paint on it and in the winter i just wipe paste wax on it but i dont wipe it off works great so far.

Best blower for throwing snow I ever had was a 36" on a fdt. My 42" on my sovereign 18 doesn't down bad either. Not sure how far it is suppose to throw it but it gets it out of the drive way.

I agree with that, taking full cuts, not half or 3/4 works best for distance (that's were hydrostatic comes in handy). Also throwing as much in the forward direction as possible will send it farther by far.

I am going to give the 5.5" pulley a shot, as well as the rubber flaps. I usually keep it full but it just won't quite clear the driveway in a few spots, but we're talking about trying to throw it 40+ feet at a few spots. Any more distance would be great as that is less snow I have to move twice.

Does anybody know the shaft diameter and offset on the pulley off the top of their head, or have a source for them?