Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tired engines??????

tej

Here on the forum I have often heard the expression tired engine. In my many years experience with cars, trucks, farm tractors, garden tractors, and lawnmowers, an old engine will run stronger than a new one because it turns over easier with less resistance. When old engines are running weak it is generally caused by carbration and/or ignition problems. Cleaning and rebuilding the carburetor, replacing the points and adjusting the magneto, cleaning carbon out of the cylinder head, and maybe reseating the valves should make any tired engine as frisky as new. Maybe tired engine just means that your tired of working on it and I can relate to that. Sometimes old engines can be frustrating when they are not running right. Well that's what I have to say about that. Tim

That can be true in many cases Tim but when you are cutting 2-5 acres (or more) with a 30-40 year old cylinder and rings and you have to stop every hour to check and fill the crankcase - its time to tighten up those clearances with oversize piston, rings and bore - don't you think? And don't foget to check the throttle shaft - it keeps dirt from entering the engine only by its tight fit. If left loose you can quickly ruin an otherwise good rebuild. :(

Yes Jeff a worn-out engine certainly needs more than a tune-up. I didn't associate that with being a "tired engine", my mistake. Tim