Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Magnetic block heaters

huffy

Have any of you guys ever used one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1160-300-Watt-Handi-Heat-Magnetic/dp/B000I8YOR4

My shop is not heated (yet, anyway), and I'm always a bit leery of starting my tractors on those below zero days. I usually cover them with a thermal blanket and put a heat lamp or small heater under there for a 1/2 hour or so before starting them, just to make sure my oil's not thick gel. But, I thought something like this might be better.

I have one of those on my old Alero instead of freeze plug heaters. I couldn't get to the plugs without pulling the engine so this works nicely.

Thanks, Bob. I think that the flat spot underneath the motor on both my Legacy and Sunstar are big enough. They do make a smaller one, that has about 1/2 the surface area, which might be the better way to go.

Used one on my 5212.5 which I wedged between the engine and dash tower. Looked to help and winter starts were not an issue. But also was able to have a large battery to help cranking.

Chris,

I agree with David (toomanytractors) about just using a good synthetic oil; be it 5W-30 or even lower viscosity if you are really subjecting the tractor to regular zero or sub-zero temps. Marty (MPH) posted a few years back some empirical tests of oil flows at sub zero temps. Only higher end brands like Mobile-1, Amsoil, Redline stuck out as the winners. Likewise some of conventional 5W, 10W oils flowed like dried up molasses in comparison. I also vote no for the block heater plan.

Tom (PK)

I used on my HB212 (12hp BS). I did not see much difference, I could only attached to the side of the block, and it did warm that area a little bit, but sticking my finger into the oil at the filler it did not feel any warmer than the sheet metal of the tractor.

I think they may be effective on a sheet metal oil pan but not too effective on the cast iron block of tractor engine.

I forgot, oil does not circulate like water, it has to be forced. I barely radiates and that why if you ever pulled out a charred dipstick heater that is the reason why. I own thoughts are what Chris (Huffy) does, but instead of light bulb use a cheap hair dryer running on low and a timer . You only have to warm up your compartment to 50 deg.

• 4 weeks later...

A little late but I use the 200W version for my Eaton 11 transmissions in my Toro 5xi tractors during the winter. I do use synthetic Mobil 1 10W-30 oil as well. Factory directions are to allow oil to circulate for 5 minutes before using.

This year I also have a diesel version 5xi and will use an additional magnetic heater on the oil pan of the Daihatsu engine. But it hasn't snowed yet - and tomorrow is going to be close to 60 degrees!