Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

removing axle hub

sideburns

Hi ordered seal and snapring.Turns out the seal leaking is on left side of tractor not right side.what is the trick to remove hub and axle tube I dont want to brake anything trying to get it apart.I removed the 2 lock nuts on hub but wont come off axle.parts wont be here untill next week.But would like to get it apart now.atleast its not on drive side that looks tuffer to remove.thanks for any help.newbie

Pretty sure to get the tube out the transmission needs to come apart. There is a gear inside keyed to that tube.

If you go that far with it, the hub can stay on the left side. Once the differential is removed from the right, the axle will slide out to the left.

At any rate, once you get that hub off, I think guys have replaced the seal without pulling the tube.

Here's a link to a how-to:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=87075

And I have also experienced the broken bolt. I invested in a left handed bit to drill the hole for the easy-out. The first time I was lucky and the broken part spun out when drilling.

Second time the bolt broke at the very bottom (it was the bolt that goes in the round hole in the shaft) and was basically loose in the hole. It was a nightmare to get out. Wound up scoring the shaft. Hopefully you won't have that problem.

Thanks bill you guys are a big help.is there a snap ring.I dont see one.Looks like it should be easy if I take my time.thanks for all the info.will let you kmow how I make out.seal should be here next week.

Take your time removing the hub. I've broken one and learned. Lots of PB Blaster, some heat, a hub puller, a ball-peen hammer and patience. There is a snap ring on the differential side. You'll need to move the axle after removing the hub. I've replaced seals on 2 so far this winter. Print Bill's step-by-step link http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=87075

and keep handy while you perform the operation. I found the seals cheaper at Simplicity dealers than through any parts outlet.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got the new seal installed thats the good news.I had to drill the broken bolt and doing so I oblonged the hole.I have an old big 10 ac that i use for parts.Went to remove that hub and same problem bolt broken off inside hub.Must be commen with foot draggers.I going to see if I can retap the threds on the first hub I removed.thanks for the help.