Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broadmoor 738 belts

rickpilgrim

We're running a 738 in our business for snow blowing. The crew likes it a lot except the green belts don't last or give good grip. What belts work best for these old machines and where do you get an HA 80 v- belt from

Thanks

Not sure of belts for that unit, but I would also check the pulleys. If they are worn enough, they can cause your "grip" issue, which will eat any belt fairly quickly is there is slippage. If fitting well, a v-belt does not need a bunch of tension to work properly, it wedges itself into the pulley. If the pulley is worn enough the "wedging" isn't really working well and hence the slippage.

It may seem unlikely, but you have to remember that those pulleys are about 40 years old!

The pulleys were my first suspect, the lower had a groove worn into it so I ordered a replacement. The green belts were slipping some I'm sure, what happened is got into the plow ridge at the driveway end and ripped the belt in half.

I picked up some A80 Kevlar cord Gates belts to try when the new pulley arrives.

My MRO (industrial supply store) says he can get me the steel core round belts, need width and length plus all pulley sizes plus horsepower and pay $35.00 or so for one. He says these are great for this as they never get hot from twisting and should work good.

Many Thanks for the tips and info

I chose A80 belts as the NLA factory belt was HA profile 82.1" long according to my simplicity dealers parts counter man. He suggested I get 4L82 Kevlar belts and try those. I had not inspected the pulley closely at this point and got 2 farm and barn store belts, Dayco brand. Fit was not a problem, plenty of tension adjustment.

At the MRO I told them I needed a Kevlar A series belt same length as a 4L82. He looked in his Gates book and showed me the interchange was A80. They fit well so I'm good with that.

Our 738 was re powered with a 10 hp Briggs along the way and also a 727 trans.

I don't know if the pulleys are stock or ? and won't know until the 19th or so when the new arrives. That effects belt length a lot also.

Thanks everyone