Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
spi

typical snow job

spi

I went out this morning after it snowed all night to blow the drive.

started the 3414 and let it warm up while I got ready. after a few minutes there was a bang and it stopped running. It turns, has compression, just no spark. every thing exposed checks out.

I had the choice of pulling the engine or mickey mousing the blower onto the B10. B10 idea won out. I put the blower on and switched the loaded and chained tires. An hour and a half of working on full thrash I was finally ready to go to work. Fortunately nothing else broke, which I should be quite grateful for.

I guess that I should expect this considering all the years I have used the simplicity. At least while it is down I will be able to replace the front axle and from the looks of it I will probably have to weld the hole up and redrill it

I guess I should stop crying, I didn't hurt myself,and it is surely better than buying a new one which wouldn't be as good as either of the ones I have.

My wife tells me that I enjoy all this, I think I'm just tight with a dollar.

Jim

spi

yeh Dave:

if it's something rare I'll have it.

Actually I keep my machinery running so long it gets to the point where it's pretty difficult finding parts, and it's not just tractors either.

My chain saw is an early 70s homelite xl 102 I have three running lawn - boys one of which I bought new when I was 11. Up until I gave it away a couple of years ago I used a 1958 evinrude 18 hp. my deer rifle is 101 years old, and I still drive a 1969 442 but I suppose that is a differant kind of thing.

Although if you frequent this site then you are probably in the same boat ;)

Jim

spi

BLT

is it a yellow 18"

My grand parents had an 18" Iron-Horse Lawn-Boy green, red engine, wrap the rope around the flywheel to start and I remember it had teeth on the front.

I also remember it being a pretty good runner

jim

BLT
quote:Originally posted by spi

BLTis it a yellow 18"My grand parents had an 18" Iron-Horse Lawn-Boy green, red engine, wrap the rope around the flywheel to start and I remember it had teeth on the front.I also remember it being a pretty good runnerjim

id="quote">
id="quote">It is a 21" lime greenish, not the traditional green that Lawnboy used.

spi

darndest thing:

I started fixing my simplicity today and during the initial look over I noticed the bolts that hold the drive shaft to the flywheel were sheered off flush in the fan thing that bolts to the flywheel. Huh..wonder what that has to do with spark, I wondered.

Pulled engine and removed the cooling shroud and the wire that comes from the coil and connects with the wire from the points was broken.

I just don't understand what one has to do with the other. Did the wire break because the bolts broke or did the bolts break because the wire broke? Or could it be just one heck of a coincidence? Only theory I can come up with is that maybe the bolts were loose and the vibration broke the wire. I would of felt the loose bolts though, the shaking would be considerable.

What's your guess.

Simplicity7013H

Best bet for getting out those sheared of screws is to weld a nut on top of the broken bolt. That's how I got mine removed. Also Dave's theory sound logical