Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3314h leaking carburetor

DRBcoosNH

I bought this tractor last summer. I ran it once this winter with the snow blower attachment. Worked great. Next storm I go out to the garage and there was a puddle under the carb. Tried to start and the starter wouldn't turn. Took it apart and it was fried. Found a new one. Took carb apart and cleaned it, it wasn't that dirty and tried to adjust float so pin would stop gas flow with doughnut reservoir was full. No such luck. It was fine when I first put the gas line back in, (I even waited a half hour, had lunch) but as soon as I try to start it, it leaks. Now I can't even get it to start. Everything is clean in the carb. I can blow through all the parts. It does seem like compression is low, like it doesn't turn very fast. Took out spark plug and tested that it sparked and the motor spun freely with no compression build up at all (with spark plug out of engine). Where should I go from here?

First go out and get/install a fuel shutoff (local dealer).

Next check your oil for fuel content...had that happen to me, this last week, when some fuel (with condensation) got into the float bowl and froze the float needle OPEN.

W

Second thoughts (STUCK VALVE), remove plug, put a teaspoon of ATF into the cylinder and let it sit overnite, crank the engine for a couple minutes, replace the plug and try it again.

W

Alrighty, got the carb to hold fuel, checked battery level and the battery was low, so put the battery on a trickle charge overnight. Next morning it started up like a champ.Let it run for about 15 min, tuned the carb and it sounded great. Turned it off, put some chains on. Tried to start it again and the starter started smoking and wouldn't turn the motor. Brand new starter from ebay "Discount Starter Alternator" seller that I found from another forum question on here. The OEM numbers matched up. Did I fry my brand new starter alternator? I know they get hot but should they smoke? Belt tension is as loose as I can get it and still have a hold on pulley. Is the battery just junk?

Not an expert on S/G's, but when I had a voltage regulator go bad, it fried the S/G. I've also heard that the voltage regulator can't be off a car, it needs to be one designed for a tractor S/G and the max amps (15 I think) that a tractor S/G can put out without over heating.

Here's a post about testing a S/G and voltage regulator:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22094

• 3 weeks later...