Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Which shakes less

tweinke

Which engine is smoother, Briggs 16hp or Kohler 16hp? Looking for opinions. My 917 that I pulled the KT17 oil burner out of was temporarily repowered with a K321. Little short on power to run a 48 inch deck with turbo. So I am planning for the final repower. I don't think I can fit a v twin in the budget right now so fire when ready!

I would say the Kohler KT17, I run them in 2 of my tractors. They are a really smooth motor and would never think about repowering my 900's with briggs. Sorry, just my opinion.

I agree completely on the KT 17. Problem was the one in the tractor was worn out to the extent overhaul was not by any means cost effective. Cost with machine work was more then three times the value of the tractor. I did keep the engine in case I could find all parts needed for better prices. It was at the point of needing a quart of oil to a tank of gas. Even tried replacing the crankcase breather, no help. Pulled the heads cylinders were worn to the point it was probably going to have to be bored .020. Crank needed to be cut also, local Kohler parts guy said I may not even be able to get all pieces needed to rebuild. So here I am looking for a cost effective replacement. Would love to do the HF 22hp but the finance depth is really not seeing that. I have one 16hp Briggs with e start and know of another that is in excellent condition. The K321 paint mixer drives me nuts but does run pretty good just short on power for the turbo on a 48 inch deck.

Well, over the summer I bought a Simplicity 7117 with tiller, deck for $250. It needed a BGB, I replaced that and then the KT17 went and I knew it was burning oil, but it threw a rod. Well with the machining and parts I spent about $350 on the rebuilding on the motor. I know it was $100 more than I paid for the tractor, but it was worth it.