Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Best replacement engine for 1973 powermax

rickpilgrim

When we bought our powermax it had been re powered with a Onan performer 18.

I was told by PO that he bought with oe 16hp and when wore out was cheaper to do the P-18 than R&R the 16 CCK.

At this point the P-18 is starting to show blowby and some ticking noises, had 2 mount ears broke off the base (custom adapter plate mounted now) replacement time is coming soon. I will not R&R the performer 18 as it is 2 weak for this machine. I'm also not a fan of the Briggs vanguard engines, have 2 already that require more shop attention than a 1-2 yr old motor should.

Has anyone else done a Powermax re power?

Thanks

I'd go with a diesel if I had to repower a powermax. It'd be the best choice when you think about fuel efficiency and torque out that no gas engine can match. It makes ya wonder why there wasn't a diesel in powermaxs to begin with. I had a 7790 and I absolutely loved it for power and fuel efficiency the only thing I didn't like was that simplicity no longer supplies Lombardini parts. I had to have fuel lines custom made because of it. But other than that it was a great tractor.

We had a 7790 yrs ago used for commercial mowing and snowblowing and in one season replaced 3 sets of motor mount, driveshafts and hydraulic lines (which always got trashed when the fiberglass coupler disc failed ) I traded it in for a 7119. Later I found out it needed the revised motor mounts-go figure.

I have a spare Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel for our Toro Grounds Master 327 but to mount a radiator and maintain the drive pulley location would require a frame stretch and a jack shaft.

Does anyone know if a kit for Honda is available that doesn't look like a butcher fit it?

I've had no problems with a Vanguard 23 in my 620 for about 6 years, but I probably don't run it more than 20 hours a year. No grass where I run it with a loader and rear blade and no snow duty with no winter road access.

From what I learned this weekend talking to my local guys that show Powermax's at shows, the Honda runs to hot to do much work, the performer 24 is much like my performer 18 and the Subaru/Robin is much like the Honda with hot problems.

The Kohler is possible with some re-machining of the flywheel adapter but the CH command series is less desireable than a K532/582 that I would need to find.

The Vanguards I have are vertical shaft, ones 20 hp the other a 16 rope start, both needed valve cover gaskets already and the 20 had the oil pressure sender hole tapped to deep requiring filter/adapter replacement and the 16 has a pcv oil leak requiring flywheel removal. Neither of them have more that 300 hrs or 2 seasons of work. The PowerMax is used year round at about 270-300 hrs/ yr so.....

quote:Originally posted by rickpilgrim

The Kohler is possible with some re-machining of the flywheel adapter but the CH command series is less desireable than a K532/582 that I would need to find.

id="quote">
id="quote">I have a Powermax with a Kohler K582. The engine is the Roll Royce of the air cooled Kohlers. The major disadvantage is that it is too long to fit into the Powermax frame. The PO mounted mine by welding a plate across the frame raising the engine by about 3-1/2 inches. So no possibility of a rear PTO with this setup. Others have stretched the frame to make room. A good running Onan is hard to beat in these machines. John U

With the Onan performer the rear pto is not useable in stock form either. Both mine with the performer 18 and the 620 I've looked at with the performer 24 have the engine offset to the right due to starter location, rear pto on mine is stub shaft, u joint stub shaft u joint custom keyed shaft to spline adapter with bearing supprt affair. It works but it not exactly a smooth and quiet system.

My Hustler 272 came with a CCKB and was swapped to a K532 along the way. The K532 in it has a smaller foot print than the CCKB it replaced and the crank height is around an inch lower or so it seems by that conversion. The starter is on the wrong side also.

Will likely end up with the vanguard swap for the neatness of install and keeping it "stock" apearing. Will likely keep the outside of hood exhaust though to help with heat.

Thanks everyone

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hate to dig up an old thread but this one has some great info in it, so it makes sense to keep it all here.

What can anyone tell me about repowering with a 23hp Vanguard? How tall is the engine mounting plate? Do you end up with normal function of the rear pto and the front pto for the mower deck, etc?? How are you cooling the hydro fluid? Any issues you run into?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

GB sm01

I use mine in my business each year. I've looked at several repowers and for me have decided that as long as I can find Onan parts I'll keep them stock. I do have a Powermax parts tractor that when I get time will get a 3 cyl. Kubota transplant with some pretty extensive modifications.

Parts are still available for the CCKB's you just have to search as I've found.

I bought a tractor without an engine so I'm looking for info on repower kits. I've sourced a few reasonably priced 23hp Vanguards, so I was wondering about the engine mounting plate height, and driveshaft adapter, etc.. Plus any other known installation problems.

GB sm01

Ken, only problem I see is the cost, most can't afford or justify spending $1725. I've considered the Predator swap after seeing your swap in person $699 way easier to swallow. This just my $.02

Again I prefer to keep mine as stock as possible, probably for the resale point of it.

How ever you do it, its not gonna be cheap. That's the point I was making. Its a labor of love and $'s. A legacy is cheaper and more readily available. If your into the old powermaxs, your into em!

I know about the repower kits but there's no way I'm paying 2K for one. If I can find my own 23hp Vanguard for less than half of the other guys prices, why wouldn't I go that route? I'm just curious about the engine mounting plate and pto hook-ups, etc. I can make the engine mounting plate but knowing the height would start me off on the right foot. Knowing what other people had problems with would give me a heads up on my project before I start it this spring.

GB sm01

I guess what I'm asking is, what is the measurement of the centerline height of the crankshaft to the mounting plate? On the original Onan. I've Googled it for hours with no luck.

GB sm01

I have done my own repowers

never on a PowerMax

There is a lot of work to a repower

unless you are skilled enough

to figure out drive shaft set ups

Charging system differences

ignition system differences

exhaust system modifications

and the safety system

you may be better off with a repower kit

as they include all of those items