Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler 18 horsepower triad engine

TheLawnMowerMan

What are any thoughts on the Kohler 18 horse triad engines? There are some for sale and I know nothing about them and would like opinions on them. What's the good and bad on these engine? What years did Kohler sell them and would they work in the large frame Simplicity or Allis Chalmers tractors? Thanks.

The Triad (TH18) engines were used in Simplicity/Allis Large Frame tractors for several years...but there was issues with that engine. So much so that Kohler and Simplicity were changing out the TH18 for Command (CH18) engines free of charge, for many years.

The (TH) is an overhead valve overhead cam engine, the CH is just and overhead valve configuration.

There were several issues with the TH engine and I am sure that other members here can give you first hand experience.

Okay thanks for the information. The ones listed for sale needed rebuilt, but I had no idea that they were such a bad engine. I'm guessing that they don't even sell replacement parts for it then. But I thought if they sold cheap enough and I found out some good news on them I'd pick them up. Anyways if anyone else has any info on them and could tell me what was the big problem with them I'd love to hear from you. Thanks again.

You will find a lot if you go to the drop down "search" above and include archived forums and search "triad". Many of these engines blew, possibly because needed fin clearing not done and Koehler stopped making them when makers of new tractors stopped using them.

I have a triad with about 30 hours on it, no problems yet.

I believe the most common problems leaking valve covers due to the fuel pump mounting and overheating issues. Some guys notched the air cleaner intake to get more airflow.

I understand they can be an OK engine if you keep up on maintenance, and keep the cooling fins clean. I also understand that many parts are unavailable from Kohler, so unless I heard it run, I wouldn't be interested in purchasing one.

I know that of the 2 being sold one runs but needs some work, the other had something let go. If the price stays down I'm going to pick them up and make one good one and it'll never really do work, just be put in a tractor to screw around with sometimes. I have others that do all the work around my house, lol. This addiction has taken a strong hold on me. But at least it's fun!

Some of these motors failed before the introductory parade

So they were clean and oil levels fine

Al Eden had some mods to air intake system

I had one triad engine. It was powerful smooth and quiet. I believe this was generally the case until they suddenly and spectacularly failed. When i got some money ahead i bought one of al eden's command kits for my sovereign a couple years back. Glad i did. Hopefully I'll have a good tractor for a few decades now. I have a 7016 that is starting its 5th decade in 2015.