Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 720 Starter will not engage

Tuffy

I can't get my 720 to crank over. Clutches are not engaged. Tranny is in neutral. I think it might be the indent from the hydro control (must be in neutral to start). How do I get to the indent switch? Do I have to remove most of the control panel sheet metal? Or do you think I am barking up the wrong tree?

Steve R.

Tuffy.

Steve, don't know if this will help but I found a section in this manual about adjusting the safety switches. Go to page 2-9. It discusses the electrical system. Keep scrolling down until you find it (pg 2-20??) hope this helps

make sure the 3 speed transmission is in neutral,then try jumping from the battery + to the solenoid directly. mine has a white wire coming from the solenoid that you can attach to.

Thanks for the tips guys. Which manual were you referring to? Repair manual? I am not at home right now - will check tonight. And I will try the 'jump' as well. This has happened before ana I try again a week later and it turns over. This time still nothing.

Steve

My 620 acts like this every so often, when it happens I make sure the 3 spd is in neutral and jumper between the wire to the solenoid on the starter and the circuit breaker near the starter.

When I purchased my 620 the neutral switch located in the tunnel in front of the operators seat had been bypassed. I managed to purchase a new switch from the local auto parts store. Can't remember the number or manufactuer but switch was identicle . Was very easy to adjust the switch with the motor not running using a test light.

When I had my 720 the electric clucth switch was the culprit.I just had to wiggle it back and forth to get engine to turn over. Replaced switch and never had the problem again.You have several trees to bark at but it sounds like one of them is your issue

Tuffy

I have had the same problem with my 9020. The trick as described by Dave B. works on mine and it starts. I have the new switches but haven't found the time to install them.

Give it a try.

Ben

Tuffy

I forgot to suggest that you should turn the key to the start position and then wigggle the PTO switches one at a time. That will identify the switch that needs to be replaced.

Ben

All these model tractors had the tranny safety switch mounted on a bracket beside the hydro inside the torque tube. Access it from the top tube cover. The. Exception was the last year model tractors that had the switch mounted inside the dash just inboard of the main dash hydro lever.

Just to give a quick overview of the electrical system, low voltage from corroded switches will cause no starter solenoid engagement. To help with this you can add a standard automotive style 40 amp relay in the starter circuit and this normally fix most starter issues other than outright failure of a switch or the starter itself.

As stated above, wiggling the pto switches or bypassing each one at a time will help identify where the single problem is located. But these problems will grow until all the switches and wiring are replaced. Unless the relay update is used.