Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 16hp cross reference question

hotwire

Hey fellas,

Been working on this, slow and not so steady.... ;-)

I broke a rod / piston in my 13 hp (302431) JC Penney 7013s and with suggestions and help from here, i took the block to a machine shop. I had them bore it out to a std 16hp bore so i could buy a new piston since the oversize13hp pistons are NLA. I have a new rod and piston and a bunch of other shinny good stuff, but i need a ring set. Question is, what is the 16hp model number equal to the 302431? I had it written down and somehow lost it. All parts between the two motors were identical except the piston and rings. I think it was 326431....... Is that right? There are some ring sets on ebay and before i order, i want to make sure thats right. Thanks guys...... Of course, if any of you have a set........ ;-)

There is a set on ebay (390484) that says it was replaced by 792366. Is there any reason to not get the older 390484 set? Any difference in material or design? I assume they are just older NOS. Price is better.....

Brad,

I just checked my NOS rings (both the 390484 and 390679 STD) and either will work. The only difference is the oil ring on the 390679 and is a 4 piece type with chrome rails and on the 390484 the oil ring is a 2 piece type (w/expander); both sets are chrome. The 390679 compression rings seem to have a little more spring tension though. IMHO, I would avoid an aftermarket cheapo set since you probably already invested some appreciable "cake" into this rebuild; stick with OEM Briggs rings.

Tom (PK)