Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Broadmoor 303

Hexe

This is my first post here and I am sure not my last.

Just yesterday I picked up my grandfather's Simplicity that we has shipped to Colorado from New Jersey. We have all the paperwork, brochure, manuals and even original bill of sale from 1967.

In addition, I have the 32" rotary snowthrower.

I got it started yesterday with minimal effort. A new battery and some starter fluid and it fired up. It needs to be cleaned up but overall it is in what I would guess is decent shape.

It would be nice if he was still around to see this project come together. I would like to eventually disassemble it, clean it all and paint it. For now, I just need to figure out how to take off the mower deck and get the snowthrower on and running. Should be fun. If anyone knows of any videos showing how to do this or some tips, let me know please.

Thanks for this wonderful forum. Cheers!

Welcome to the club. Your tractor should be this:

990287/288/303 6HP Broadmoor

990289 32" Rotary Mower

990293 32" Snow Thrower

That is a 1963 version and there were only two options for that model year but doesn't necessarily mean that other items wouldn't work as time went by.

You can go to the top of this thread and download operators and parts books from Simplicity.

As far as videos go, your best bet will be You Tube. We do not catalog them.

The 990303 was built from '63 to '65, I believe. It should be a 6hp tractor with no sides to the dash - you can see right into the steering gear area. Then in '66 came the Broadmoor 707, which was 7hp, then in '67 the Broadmoor 717 which was 7hp.

What are your engine numbers? Should be a 146702 model I think.

The code breaks down like this. Positions 1 and 2 are the last 2 digits of the year. Positions 3 and 4 are the month, positions 5 and 6 are the day.

Assuming the bill of sale is correct as being sold new at a Simplicity dealer in 1967, I hope it was a great deal because that dealer had been sitting on that machine a while and the current machines were the same chassis, but 1 more horsepower! It's not unheard of for a machine to sit at a dealer for 1, 2 or even 3 years. It happens. Your engine date code is usually accepted as being within about 6 months of tractor assembly - obviously the engine was made before the tractor. Tim

Welcome to the site Kirk! Feel free to come on in and have a look around this informative site. We are lookn forward to having a new members insight into this hobby we all enjoy.dOd

FYI...we all love pics so feel free to share them with us.

Welcome to the site! These small frame machines are great, I own 2 of them. To take the mower deck off, take the 2 pins that are attached to the bottom of the front axle. There is also a pin to take out that is attached to the lift arm on the right. Take the belt off the deck pulley, turn the front wheels to the far left, and slide the deck out to the right. Easy. If you have any other questions, post them, there's a great group of helpful people here.

Thank you all a ton. It is nice to feel welcome!

I will get some pictures tomorrow and be sure to share them.

This tractor means more to me than anyone knows. I remember sitting on it when I was 5 years old or so pretending to drive it. My grandfather really loved this thing and only let me ride it once by myself. Since he passed away 10 years ago, it has sat at my parents house collecting dust and not being taken care of unfortunately. I finally couldn't stand it and had it shipped out here.

Seeing my son on it the other day driving down the road brought tears to my eyes. Yeah, that probably sounds a bit silly but it did.

Thank you very much for the info on taking the deck off. If I can brave the cold after dinner I may venture out to the shop and take a look.

Here are a couple pics.

I got the mower deck off and the thrower on. Everything is greased and oiled. When the temps go up I will begin to clean it more. Any suggestions on what to use to clean it? There is baked on grease, oil, and grime on it.

Seems I will need to get the chains on it. (Glad my dad gave me those as well as the counter weight for the back.) The tractor likes to slip around on the snow and get stuck a bit. Other than that, I think we are ready to go for winter.

If anyone wants, I can post pics of the original manuals and paperwork I have.

33xdl3q.jpg

2zh2qz5.jpg

1zn33lu.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Hexe

If anyone wants, I can post pics of the original manuals and paperwork I have.

id="quote">
id="quote">They can also be downloaded from here.;)

Very nice looking BroadmoordOd I really like the early models with the black dash. I think it looks perfect the way it is. To clean grease from original paint I use a light spray lube (supertech brand from W.W.) it compares to WD40. I spray it onto a rag or paper towel and work it into the grease stain until clean. To clean the penetrating oil off regular soap and water or "Fantastic" cleaner work well. Do not used greased lightning for this application as it will stain the paint.