Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dav

pull start

dav

I try to keep the rope start pulley on all my tractors-never know when you might need it. (in about 16 years of messing with these machines, I've only needed it once.)

just pulled the pulley off the B-1 bgb to put a later pulley with the plastic strips on. the jerky start with the stock pulley has almost launched 'she who must be obey'd' off the sulky.

but the rope start part has a different bolt pattern.

I have the booklet for the B-1 and the early landlord. both list the part as 154384.

so there must be a later model tractor that uses a different rope start. anyone know if the B-12 used a different part number?

I had a B-12 and another one that was wrecked for parts but I sold them to standardize my fleet. only like the 9/10 hp round hoods.

then I got the B-1 and the addiction really kicked in

rokon2813

Okay Dave, you just made me learn something new.

I just took a rope cup off a 700 (B1) and already had a B10 rope cup on ebay, so I just hung it on the wall with the rest, assuming they were all the same.

So I hadda put my shoes on and go look.

The earlier one has only 2 holes in it, the newer ones have 4. The 700 bolt pattern is about 1/4" wider than the B10. The 4 holes in the later cup make them fit both patterns. :o

I just looked it up, B 12 is the same part number also.

Since one has 2 holes and the other has 4, they technically should have different part numbers, but as long as they only sold the 4 hole one when a part was ordered, it would still fit.

dav

thanks Dan

you're the guy who showed me how the rope start works a long time back. I thought that weird pulley was for an attachment I didn't have.

that one time I needed it, I didn't have any rope. so I used my belt. hooked the buckle in the groove and wound the belt around the edge of the pulley. got back to the RV and put it on the battery charger. idling around the tractor show didn't rev the motor enough to charge the battery.

Christmas, the next day I will be off when there is daylight. I will search for the part that was originally with that drive pulley.

dav

thanks Dan

you're the guy who showed me how the rope start works a long time back. I thought that weird pulley was for an attachment I didn't have.

that one time I needed it, I didn't have any rope. so I used my belt. hooked the buckle in the groove and wound the belt around the edge of the pulley. got back to the RV and put it on the battery charger. idling around the tractor show didn't rev the motor enough to charge the battery.

Christmas, the next day I will be off when there is daylight. I will search for the part that was originally with that drive pulley.

dav

Dan

you set me in motion looking for that rope start cup. I pawed thru the dresser draws full of parts and the milk crates, too.

no luck. probably sold it at a show, most likely for a dollar or so.

eventually I will drill the other two holes in the cup I have and put it back on.

I have been overhauling a model 19 7 1/4 motor to put in the 725 into B1 project I am building. I had a loose motor that is std bore and I have a NOS piston for it so that is getting the valve clearance done up at the machine shop. a second motor provided the valves. I was going to use motor #2 until I found the dreaded +.010 on top of the piston.

the 10 over rings are NLA. the part no is 292101

while looking for the cup I found, you guessed it, a box labeled 292101. looks like i'll get started on that motor as soon as I finish the first one.

and I found another box of 292102, the mythical 20 over rings!! no piston for them but there is a 3 1/4 inch piston that the number is wiped out on. don't know what it does fit, only what it doesn't.

don't know how I managed to double post that previous message. also don't know how to delete one copy of it. sorry about that