Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

carb question

dav

anyone found a secret method of getting the jet out of a carb?

I am working on a b&s 319cc motor that sat for years, apparently, with old gas, you remember the kind of gas that just evaporated and left white deposits?

I have sprayed PBS in it but that hasn't helped. don't want to dunk the whole carb in the one gallon can but might have to.

....One important consideration in removing that Jet is to NOT try and use a normal screwdriver....The faces and sides are tapered and tend to pry up out of the brass slots, and with tapered sides the screwdriver that will fit into the threaded hole, will not fill the slots in the Jet, which decreases the amount of secure twist you can

apply to the Jet.....

Soak the Jet with Carb cleaner, it's a pretty good lubricant for this operation.....For starters I make a tool that has a straight set of blades that fill the slots in the Jet......If and often the slots shear off and the case looks hopeless.....But if you take a 1/16" drill and drill a hole in the old slots, near to the threads

on each side about 3/32" deep you can "tap the tool down into new slots" for a new purchase on the Jet....This can also sometimes be beneficial in jarring the Jet loose from it's corrosion.....

When and If you do get the Jet loose, work it back and forth in

small movements, using plenty of Carb Cleaner to allow it to scour out it's threads as you bring it out of the carb....I can't remember not getting any out, but they can be a real challenge....