Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar 20 vs. Sovereign 18

RMCII1

Happy Christmas Eve All;

Here is the question. I have a chance to purchase a Sunstar 20hp(1995) model with Kohler Command 60" deck and blade or a Sovereign 18hydro with the Kohler Command 18, 48" deck, 42" blade, 36" blower. Both come with chains. Sunstar has slightly over 900hrs. Sovereign does not have the hour gauge. Both are in very good condition and no leaks anywhere. I would like answers based upon cost for repairs, wear and tear items. Ease of finding additional attachments, ect...

Rob

In west central Illinois, Soveriegn attachments/accessories/options are way more plentiful, and cheaper than Sunstar attachments/accessories/options. However, A Sunstar does have the option of a 3 point hitch(if you can find/build one) which widens the tractors potential.

Sunstar parts tractors are also scarce and more expensive compared to Soveriegns.

Took me a year to find a Sunstar 48" manual angle snowblade for a reasonable price. Saw one for $400, and another for $250. Passed on both. Then found one ,missing some of the the angle mechanism parts and got it on a auction for $50.

Been looking for 2 years for a Sunstar snowblower. In that time only one has shown up in the area for $400, but it had been hacked to fit a Deere. Only ever saw 1 Sunstar tiller in these parts, and it was missing the pto kit and hitch to drive and use it.

In that same period of time I have run across loads of same attachments for Soveriegns at reasonable if not cheap pricing.

The Sunstars seem to wear better than the Soveriegns, as they are a heavier, more durable machine.

If it has them, the 2 speed gearbox, and differential lock on a Sunstar are very handy at times.

Wiring on a Sunstar is more complex and complicated than on a Soveriegn.

This all from my experience anyhow..

All in all, both machines are capable of the same work depending on the attachments you have available for use on them.

Pretty much the same as what Sam said...attachments for Sunstars more difficult to get and also more expensive but also typically more heavy duty than with Sovereign. Sunstars also have power steering on factory equipped 20hp models, Sovereigns sometimes do sometimes don't have power steering. Buy both}:):D

Dan

If you have a lot of grass to cut, the Sunstar's 60" deck will make a big difference over the Sovereign's 48. All things being equal, price, condition, etc., the Sunstar is a much heavier built tractor and has more potential. Attachments are generally more expensive, but almost all are shaft driven. Rear PTO setups and three point are rare, but when all said and done, the Sunstars are a lot more tractor than a Sovereign. Not to take a way from the Sovereigns, they are strong and bulletproof and great tractors also.

Both are pretty darned hard to break, and engines are the weak link overall. However, both are of the quality that, if in overall good shape, are worth repowering.

JMHO

Comes down to size of your yard that you are going to cut and type of non mowing work you plan on doing with the tractor IMO.

Cost to run, repair and outfit with attachments will be higher on the Sunstar.

The Sunstar's weakness is the cast iron from axle. Most that I have seen are shot and few good used parts around to fix.

Around here a good to very good Sunstar (and Allis equivalent) vs the Sovereign of similar condition will be worth more...but there is a cross over point where a fair sovereign will almost always be sellable, where as a fair to poor Sunstar is very hard to sell.

It is a shame but many Sunstars are sent to the metal recyclers instead of restored or parted out. Used parts for a sovereign are much more sellable.